No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: iittala Ultima Thule (?) but size (6.25") that I can't find in any reference  (Read 2221 times)

Offline snesbit

• Members
I picked up a set of these large tumblers and was initially sure they were Ultima Thule.  The form looks right, the molded detail is very fine on both the tapered bodies and bases.  But they measure 6 1/4" high and hold 12 ounces.  I can't find any reference for a glass that tall. 

Thanks in advance for any help on, if iittala what is it? If not, any ideas who?

Offline snesbit

• Members
So after some closer examination, the crystal quality doesn't seem quite up to par for iittala.  I looked through the previous Ultima Thule posts on the board and couldn't find reference to a look-a-like / knock-off of this variety.  Any ideas on maker, or please point me to a previous discussion I might have missed.  Thanks so much!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Looks like: http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/ultima-thule-longdrink

I suspect the dimensions are incorrect on that page, the same dimensions are also given for the highball: http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/ultima-thule-highball-0

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
there may also be versions in crystal and versions in glass.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
I'm not sure as to the height, but last year Iittala introduced a new sparkling wine glass to their range to celebrate the birth of Tappio Wirkkala. They only hold 18cl, but appear narrower than the highball.

https://www.iittala.com/Series/Iittala/Ultima-Thule/c/Ultima%20Thule
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline snesbit

• Members
Thank you all for your replies and information.  I believe the new sparkling wine only measures 4.5", although the profile looks very similar, this glass is 6.25".  I'll continue to look but appreciate your time and responses.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Just back from finland, and saw an ultima thule glass of nearly the same size as your set. They were 152mm long so 6 inches approx.
The glass I saw attracted my attention because of its height and it had a name on the side of the glass.(Sinebrychoff long drink). maybe they did special commissions if the customer was large enough. I have Finnair ultima thule glasses.
you were right to comment on the detail of the ultima thule pattern.  I noticed on the glass I saw, the pattern seemed to be stretched out in a vertical direction. I think your ones are ultima thule.
Hope this is of some use to you,
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand