No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: green glass vase  (Read 938 times)

Offline walking dead fan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • United States
green glass vase
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »
Does anyone have any idea if this vase has any value? It has enameled morning glories on it, but when looking at it through an eye loop it shows what looks like a bunch of glass dots on the flowers. It's relatively heavy, has no markings/dates and a somewhat sharp rim. Also has a slightly concave bottom.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: green glass vase
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
hello and welcome to the GMB :)

regret to say that this forum doesn't discuss values  -  apart from the fact that such things are known to come and go with fashion, there is the obvious aspect that different people have different ideas as to what something is worth.

Must say I'm a big fan of the Ipomoea group - those blues are mind blowing (so apparently is the plant when ingested ;)) - but unfortunately I can't help with your glass.
There is a type of clear and coloured decoration called 'coralene' which shows as very small pieces of glass fused to the main body to create shapes and patterns, but am sure this isn't 'coralene', and enamelling on glass goes back a long way and was used probably in most countries, so this on its own will not help.
Other than that I've no idea, but fingers crossed someone might be able to help.         From where did you source the piece - an estate sale perhaps?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline walking dead fan

• Members
    • glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
Hi Paul,

I got this from an estate sale along with some bone china, porcelain dolls and brass pieces. Most of the items have markings so they were easy to research. Unfortunately, this is the only piece that I can't find any info on. I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks for your response!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
your comments regarding the 'sharp rim', plus the enamelled decoration, might just possibly suggest this piece started life in eastern Europe some time around the 1960 - 70 period.
Czechoslovakia and Romania have been sources for enamel decorated glass - as tourist pieces - and the ground/polished top rim is a feature typical of Continental European pieces - as opposed to the U.K., for example.

This is just my suggestion of course, and I doubt that you are going to really nail this one, unfortunately.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
I would add to Paul's serious doubts as to whether this could ever be identified.
It's a decorative piece, with some little age. It's not worth a lot, but I'm sure somebody would like it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
A close up of the decor might help but it sounds like a screen print combined with hand enamelling

Offline walking dead fan

• Members
    • glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments! I'll be posting another in just a sec.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand