No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: monart vase on ebay  (Read 5166 times)

Offline saorsa

• Members
monart vase on ebay
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:20:56 AM »
Hi Frank i picked up this vase at auction at perth  , shape fa , the unusual decoration seems to be confusing people as to it authenticity, i have seen a similar lamp with the same decoration with a label attatched although that was on an orange background ,
can you please give me your opinion , i have shown it to a couple of monart collectors and they have no doubt as to authenticity
http://images.andale.com/f2/117/112/15860417/1154209277986_monart_vase2.jpg

ebay listing number 110006516748

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:33:58 AM »
Looks great to me, the rarer colourings always throw those people who require two distinct colour regions and aventurine, can you add pictures of the base, low angle, rim and interior please - to be certain.

There is always a risk that someone could create unusual pieces to pass of as unusual Ysart glass see "Sold as Vasart ‘Experimental’" second item on this page: http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YsartPuzzle1.htm

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:03:40 AM »
The rim disturbs me. I will get Nigel to come in with an opinion here.

Offline saorsa

• Members
monart vase that picture of the rim
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
picture of the rim was looking down on it from above .
below is a picture as you would view it  normally , some of the pictures may look a little distorted and bevelled due to using the macro  on the camera  to get close up.

http://images.andale.com/f2/117/112/15860417/1151990412300_monart_rim_2.jpg

Offline millarart

• Members
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:01:51 PM »
Hi Frank,
             i have seen this piece in the flesh and i have compared it to a lamp i have in the same decoration just different colourway and it looked brilliant, the pic posted of the rim makes it look odd but as you will see from the other pic posted later it is infact fine, must have been the way/angle he took first pic, it is a very stunning piece and i would assume quite rare, and is a must have for the Monart collector,not a decoration seen much,
                           Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »
Agreed that last picture helped. It is a rare pattern/style, I have seen half a dozen in twenty plus years and each has been quite different, mostly with more colours. All had an opaque inner in red, orange or white.

Offline millarart

• Members
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »
wow only around six pieces in twenty odd years, you must have seen /handled several thousand pieces of Monart in that time,   wonder if the museum has any?????????,
                             Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline saorsa

• Members
vase
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »
well what a difference a day makes, but im glad that at least everyone is now talking about it .
 Firstly  , I knew when i bought this vase ,that i had aquired a very rare and unusual piece of Monart , i had no doubts whatsover howeverr i had nothing to compare it to , i emailed a few of the collectors that i deal with both on ebay and privately and was given their opinion ,
value was discussed as always,  but because  i had no comparison to gauge it against i decided to list it and get the market opinion , within hours i had several emails questioning its authenticity .

i Know for a fact that the seroius collectors of ysart glass use this forum, and indeed there are no people more qualified to give an opinion than Frank,  Nigel And Kev H .
From My Questions On Ebay , I gave Links To This Message Board , and YsartGlass.com So That People could either email Frank Or discuss It on here , That way people would either be convinced as to what i maintained it to be or indeed not ,
As For value , what is it worth ? only the market can dictate , i have seen several surface decorated vases and paisley shawl vases go For £1000 + that are indeed not as rare as this , But as Luckslap noted it is all down to personal taste and what you collect ,

Finally I would like to thank everyone for their interest , And their help In confirming this Rare vase

Gregor

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
monart vase on ebay
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 08:14:56 PM »
Hi Gregor, Just a word about putting your e-mail address in a post - it leaves it open to being picked up by spambots. If you add it to your Profile (see Profile link up at the top when you're logged in) it appears as an e-mail button below your post rather than a harvestable address.  Hope this is useful to you. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand