No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible large Murano piece?  (Read 953 times)

Offline Amtique

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Possible large Murano piece?
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »
Hello all,

I have a large heavy glass vase(?) that was bought by my uncle many years ago (he was born in the late 1920s and died in 2005). I have a black & white picture of him holding the vase when he was younger. As far as I can see the base isn't signed but I know that he travelled abroad a lot in his life. It measures approx. H16.25" x W4.5" x D5.25" and weighs approx. 3,470g or 3.47kg. I also found a photograph he took of it with the word 'murano' written on the back.

I would appreciate any information/guidance and possible value. I have more pics if required.

Many thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Amtique

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Possible large Murano piece?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
More pics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board :)

I love the surface treatment on your vase.  I'm sure it has a name but I can't remember it.  I also know nothing about Murano glass. But hopefully someone will be along soon who can help point you in the right direction.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »
must confess that Murano not my area, but like many here a first reaction to your suggestion of origin is that your piece is very untypical of glass from the Gulf of Venice, which frequently is more colourful.                   You don't explain why you are thinking possibly Murano.
This clear and modernist appearance might possibly indicate Scandinavian - but that is just a possibility and my opinion only.

Essential here I think that we see a good clear close up picture of the underside of the base  -  this has the potential to help with dating and sometimes with an attribution.

Having said all of the above, I see that there is an example (albeit a very colourful 'Murrine' vase) in one of my books, from Venini, that has been given a "pulled protruding knotty point at the shoulder on one side of the vase"  -  a very tenuous connection, but worth mentioning - although your feature is more like a nipple.
I think there is very little chance that your glass is from Murano, but fingers crossed someone might know the real origin and be able to help. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:02:08 AM »
Regardless of Paul's doubts regarding the lack of bright colour I suspect that your vase is from Murano. The surface technique would be Corroso - corroded with acid to give the effect.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
well, shouldn't I look before leaping..........      corroso it does appear to be, and I should also read peoples initial posts a little more carefully, especially where they give their reasons for a suggested attribution. :)              John undoubtedly knows more about this type of glass than I ever will.                     My apologies for misleading you.

Sorry to be a disappointment though re your request for value  -  regret to say that we don't discuss values here - mostly for the simple reason that different people have different ideas as to what is appealing, which means we would all tend to put a different value on the same item.
It also avoids assumptions that selling something will necessarily generate the same value that might have been suggested here.
However, you may get a reasonable guide as to the value of your piece, from other internet examples which will almost certainly beaccompanied by a value/price, and now that I've looked, there are many examples of corroso glass on the screen  -  if you use Murano and Corroso you should get plenty of examples to see.            Previous auction sales are also a good source of indications of monetary value.
Wish you the best of luck. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
I think it's corroso too. :)
I don't know much about it, but will never forget somebody here, many years ago, producing a pink corroso hippo for identification, and there was a bit of an "Antiques Roadshow spectacular" outcome.
It was for a highly desirable animal figurine and before the recession, but I do think corroso is still popular and this is an elegant vase, with a feature that resembles female anatomy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Amtique

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for all the comments and information. I have attached a picture of the base (can't see any signature or marks unfortunately). The only lead I had about the Murano link was that I found a photo that my uncle had taken (maybe for insurance purposes?) and on the reverse he had written Murano. All info is appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand