No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1888 Prince & Princess of Wales Silver Wedding Bowl 10"  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
1888 Prince & Princess of Wales Silver Wedding Bowl 10"
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »
Dear All,

a little fun, in great condition and fantastic plumes. I've seen nut bowls and plates but not a fruit bowl.

With kind regards

Andrew

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 1888 Prince & Princess of Wales Silver Wedding Bowl 10"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
nice piece Andrew  -  has a trade mark no doubt although presumably wasn't a commemorative design that was ever Registered.

Apologies for being Mr. Picky, but in view of the fact that at this date he was still the Prince of Wales and didn't become Ed. VII until his mother died in 1901, then possibly better to drop the reference to monarch  ..............    you know what people are like, they'll pick up on this and spend the rest of their lives thinking Ed. VII was king in 1888 ;D

It's a great looking bowl and am sure that a darker background would give better contrast and highlight the details.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
I've amended the subject line as this isn't a Greener or Jobling piece, so folks might get confused. 

It is, according to Chris Stewart, a George Davidson piece. Davidson produced a range of items for the Prince and Princess of Wales' Silver Wedding - which included baskets, bowls, butters, dishes and plates in various shapes and sizes (shown in Pottery Gazette March 1888). 

The most obvious clue to these being Davidson is the characteristic flat topped 8 in the design. Other makers used a round topped 8. [Info courtesy of Davidson Glass, a history, Chris and Val Stewart]
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »
Paul, I can assure you, I will not spend the rest of my life thinking (or even caring) which monarch was when or what number they had after their real or fictitious name.
I've already forgottten your correction and hadn't registered anything at all from the original info.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
nice to hear from you dear Susan - I suspect that as a Scot you're still smarting over the Jacobite issue :P

my comments weren't intended to be serious - just a little teasing and a polite and humorous way of drawing attention to the need for amendment.

I'd still be interested to hear from Andrew as to whether there is a trade mark on these Silver Wedding pieces, or none at all, ever.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
I don't know about Jacobite stuff.
Is that when the English decided they'd like James the 6th to rule them too? That was after some Albert burning some scones.
That's all I know about kings and their numbers, apart from 'enery the 8th. There was a song about that. He was the 8th husband called 'enery some woman had had.  ;)

This fruit bowl is not only an unusual shape to see, it's pink! I've not seen any pink "bobbly/stippled" commemorative glass before.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »
Dear Paul, Sue, Anne and Chris,

thank you for the feedback.  :)

No lozenge or reg number. Wear is period and in great condition. I haven't seen one before.

I scoured Jenny Thompson for the period too and only Greener appeared to be registering at the time and the dot matrix finish appears similar.

"Flat 8's ". Fantastic detail. I doff my cap.

So Davidson. Cool.

Herewith great plumes.

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
Just for reference, I have several of the royal commemorate pressed glass plates (some Greener, others unknown maker) and a butter dish (Davidson) and none of them have a maker's mark or a registration number on them. (Four of the plates and the butter dish are in this shot, along with the rest of my Royal glass, pottery and ephemera stuff, on display at the 2012 Jubilee exhibition in the village where I live.)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:06 AM »
attractive display Anne  -  commemorative plates, roughly post the 1930's, are still fairly common in the south of the U.K  ...............   Eliz. II, George V and VI  -   although I suspect they aren't period pressings - more likely someone using moulds at a later date as the condition seems often to be too good.
Royal commemorative pieces, unless old, lack popularity in the main - perhaps this might change when the present incumbent departs  -  nothing like overstaying your welcome to engender apathy  -  perhaps ceramic items are more popular than glass.
You don't appear to have any Wedgwood pieces?  -  Stennett-Willson was very keen I seem to remember, and he knocked out a wide range of items - some very expensive - although much more recent of course than the pieces we've been discussing.

However, those commemorative pressed mugs/tankards etc. certainly aren't anywhere near as common as ten years ago - someone must have them all. ;)
Sorry to see the plate is cracked

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »
Thanks Paul, the butter dish is the oldest piece - Victoria diamond jubilee 1887, along with the cracked ceramic plate (which was repaired like that before I got it, and efforts to unglue and repair invisibly have failed bigtime. I dread to think what it was glued with!) No Wedgwood pieces. I don't actively collect royal memorabilia, it just happened! I said I'd display my few royal bits at the exhibition and when I started searching round found I had loads more than I realised!   ;D

The big glass plates are George VI as is the amber tankard, the small Chance ones are Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee as is the amber/clear rummer, the other four Chance pieces are all Elizabeth II Coronation 1953 (2 tankards, a tot and a tumbler). I did also have a small Chance pin dish from the coronation but rehomed that a while ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand