No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Arts and Crafts vases  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Re: Arts and Crafts vases
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
Hi, somehow I thought you'd have had an ulterior motive  :)

I have a very superficial knowledge of art but wasn't it Ruskin who drew attention to the quality of Botticelli's work.
I'm sure he'd have done the same for my vases   ;D

You can't give up- you've got the collector gene :)

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »
Sorry about this thread hijack but ...

Paul S said:
... they [the V&A] have mind blowing pieces and makes our very humble stuff seem almost not worth bothering with
Well maybe not everything! They have (or had many years ago) a "Stourbridge" jug in amber herringbone pattern over opal with a single amber "rustic" handle and a deeply frilled rim with one frill formed as a spout. I have a pair of vases which are identical in pattern and colour but my vases (8.5 inch height) each have two handles and the rim frills are not squidged into a spout. So I reckon my vases are better than the humble jug in the V&A. One of my vases shown here

;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
wouldn't worry about the hijack  -  I think this one fell off the rails some way back.             good to know, then, that here on the Board we're still aiming high Kevin, and that we can hold our own with the museum ;)            There are few specific pieces in the gallery that I recall, it all looks so striking -  some of the pate de vere with lizards etc., and the Daum and Lalique plus some cut glass, but have to say I don't remember seeing the jug you mention ............   perhaps they didn't think it was up to their usual standard.

regret I'm no expert on Ruskin  -  he may well have commented on Botticelli in the way you mention - perhaps this is mentioned somewhere in his 'Stones of Venice' do you think?             Botticelli definitely a genius and warrants adulation - the set piece of his Birth of Venus must have been hijacked as many times as any other historic image...........         unfortunately, the two most well known of his works ... Primavera and Birth of Venus are prevented by the Uffizi from leaving Florence - I nearly asked for a refund. 

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 05:19:52 AM »
Impressive- one (or in your case two) of Stourbridge's best- and to have their provenance courtesy of the V&A !
Thanks for showing the pic. :)

Scott

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
Kev does have Stourbridge in quotes... I would probably place his vases and this jug in Bohemia. Museums are not infallible by a long chalk.

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 07:08:50 AM »
Hi Christine,
I never seem to pick up on inverted commas-I'll have to be more observant in future  :)

Scott

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
Sorry about this thread hijack but ...

Paul S said: Well maybe not everything! They have (or had many years ago) a "Stourbridge" jug in amber herringbone pattern over opal with a single amber "rustic" handle and a deeply frilled rim with one frill formed as a spout. I have a pair of vases which are identical in pattern and colour but my vases (8.5 inch height) each have two handles and the rim frills are not squidged into a spout. So I reckon my vases are better than the humble jug in the V&A. One of my vases shown here

;D

I always look at their glass and think my collection is ok :)  (there are many pieces they have that are hideous although obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder)  and also I notice any items they and other museum collections have that are damaged ... which is quite a lot. Makes me feel so much better  (justifies my buying the pieces I do).
m
Paul, envious you got to see the exhibition. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand