No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood purple tankard  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Wedgwood purple tankard
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is Wedgwood?
Does anyone know what these are called or the pat no?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Wedgwood purple tankard
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »
A pint pot?
I'm not sure what it's officially called, but I agree it does have an aura of Wedgwood about it.
My OH uses a smoky grey pint pot, of a different design, which I am also convinced is Wedgwood.
I found it in a charity shop, ooozing quality, and it had a wonderful balance and feel when holding it.
Michael will not part with it. He won't let anybody else use it. It's HIS pint pot.
I've never got as far as posting images of it here, or asked about its origins. They don't really matter, (until he breaks it and I have to try to find another one for him.)
I suppose I really should post pics and ask too.  ;D

Have you tried using it? How does it feel in the hand when full? Is it easy to drink from?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »
It measures just shy of 5.5" so can only fit about 3/4 of a pint in it.
I've tried using it but its too heavy for me almost as if its going to break leaving me with just the handle in my hand  ;D
It would look great with a set of them perhaps different colours as a sort of harlequin effect!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
can't see this one in Susan Tobin's book  -  that's not conclusive though...........   but to me this seems to lack the refinement of Wedgwood drinking items, most of which carry either cameo medallions or some sort of commemorative engraving  -  the factory were obsessed with commemorating mostly royal occasions.   
They don't all have the sand etched (can you say that?) backstamp of the Portland Vase - presumably it's seconds that don't - plus the words Wedgwood and England.
I would have thought the base should show a depression where the scar has been removed, and as I say the real things are of high quality and this doesn't quite do it for me -  I've certainly never seen this one before (famous last words), and the colouring doesn't look quite right. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
If it doesn't feel good and balanced when holding it, I would have my doubts and would add them to the slightly dubious shading of the colour towards to rim, which I wasn't overly happy about.
Perhaps Dartington?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
Here are some photos to help. It's marked to the base confirming its Wedgwood although a mark I've never seen before (didn't notice before hand as it was filthy)
Near enough identical colour wise to another in comparison which is also confirmed Wedgwood

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
 :)
There's not the graduation of the colour though.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
well, shows how wrong you can be ;D             Looks to me like a very blurred example of the Portland Vase backstamp - followed by WEDGWOOD over ENGLAND.

the fact that it has a quality polished pontil mark should ordinarily ring bells, and have to say that the bottoms of pieces of glass are always the first place I look  -  can tell you more than the rest of the piece put together.

If I get the time will have a look through Susan Tobin's catalogue ref. Nos. to see if I can run it down  -  the lack of engraving may prove a problem.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 04:29:17 PM »
Aargh, I've just realised the mark is on the pot with the foot. (I had thought it was on the memorial one)
It was Wedgwood, all along.
I've not found a mark on Michael's pot. I've had another good look.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Heres a closer look at the base which is a bit more clearer.
The way its been photographed have made the colour look graduated but its not I swear  ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand