Board Info > Board Information, Help & Announcements

Photographing clear and translucent glass on a light table

<< < (3/8) > >>

Anne:
Anne they work really well too.  I use a sheet of opaque glass stood on four clear glass tot glasses, with a battery operated multi-LED light underneath it at the back, and a sheet of plain white hardboard (rescued backing board from a former bookshelf) stood behind the shelf as the backdrop with a couple of sheets of matt black card stood at either side out of camera view, to give shadows to make cutting or pattern show up clearly... here's some examples...

Anne Tique:
That's stunning too! I quite like it that on both yours and Dirks' pictures the items don't reflect any direct light from the lamps, like on mine.
It looks very impressive and professional.

dirk.:
Wow, good result everyone!  :o :o

Paul S.:
in practice 3mm acrylic requires more heat than I imagined in order to make the stuff bend through 90 degrees  -  you can use a wire, but this requires a more complex set up than a simple gun.
The size I chose was one metre square - probably too big  -  as the heat gun reaches the end of 100 cm. the first bit I suspect has lost too much heat before the nozzle returns.
Anyway, mine requires some refinement yet, and I suspect experimenting with the position of the light source might help to improve the brightness where it's wanted.     I've used a modern Energy Saving Halogen bulb rated at 105W, which I was told is the equivalent of the old incandescnent 150W - but not so sure that in practice the light is as bright.            However, it's a vast improvement on my old set up, and a big thanks Dirk for all his help and suggestions. :)

dirk.:
Very good results, Paul! IsnŽt it amazing how much details show up on cut glass?
YouŽll enjoy trying different light settings with your new equipment IŽm sure.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version