No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Azurene look-a-like - signed. Any idea who made this?  (Read 942 times)

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
Hi All, I picked this Azurene look-a-like vase up at a fair the other day and I'm wondering whether anyone recognises the maker? The vase is really good quality, well made, measures 19cm wide and 13cm tall. It is clearly signed and dated (1989) but I can't make it out. There's something familiar about it and I feel I should know who it's by, but I can't put my finger on it. I've had a trawl through glassmessages.com but have drawn a blank so far. Don't think it's Alum Bay, Tweedsmuir, or William Walker, so struggling a bit. Someone has suggested Adam Arronson - I can see the similarity but it doesn't look like Adam's signature. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Richard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: Isle of Wight Azurene look-a-like - signed. Any idea who made this?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
Hi Richard -

I think the signature may be Richard Langdown. I've a black Azurene type vase signed Richard Langdown '86, images attached and a shallow, footed dish, green and white spirals, undated, signed R Langdown. They're both really nicely made.

I've never been to find any information about him. Several years ago I posted the vase on the old Isle of Wight Glass forum but nobody from the studio knew of him.
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
Thanks Robbo. Isn't it odd that no one has heard of this chap, a Google search returns nothing and your vase looks exactly like an IOW globe vase? A bit if a mystery! Cheers Richard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
Definitely quite odd; he was obviously an accomplished glassmaker but no trace!

Hopefully someone will have additional information.
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand