No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attenuated bottle vase with some opalescence. ID = Isle of Wight Studio Glass  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Just bought this very nice tall bottle vase with attenuated neck and with creamy/white swirls/bubbles. Shows opalescence when held to the light.
Snapped off round pontil mark.  Unsigned.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
TIA :-*
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Attenuated bottle vase with some opalescence
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
Just a thought - could it be Isle of Wight Studio Glass?
Anne E.B

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
Looks good for Isle of Wight Studio to me, possibly an experimental or trial piece in these colours I would think. These attenuated bottles also have snapped pontil marks, due to their shallow concave bases. Lovely item.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
I agree, a trial/experimental "white swirl" attenuated bottle from Isle of Wight Studio Glass, early-mid '70s.
The bubbles are perfect, the style is perfect, the kind of swirl, the shape, everything says IoWSG.  :)

I'm not sure if its true opalesence though, I suspect it's just the way the white enamel goes when light is trying to get through it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »
Many thanks Greg and Sue for the confirmation.  ;)
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
There have been ones seen in just plain blue or pink swirls, as well as the official range of pink and blue swirls.
They are really pretty scarce. I've never seen a white one before. :)

How tall is it?

I'm adding a pic of a bit of my Seaward attenuated bottle, which was taken in bright sunshine - all the patterning in the enamels and the bubbles show up quite well in it, you can compare it to the white swirls you have - and see just how almost identical they are (apart from the colour).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »
It stands just over 14" high.  It is the same as yours apart from the colour.  Does "Seaward" refer to the colourway of yours, or does it refer to the design/pattern?
I spotted it a week ago in a shop and fortunately it was still there, so just took the plunge today.  It looks its best against a darker background as the white swirls really stand out.
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Seaward is the name of the colourway of mine, which is signed by Michael Harris.
A 14" one is the scarcer, shorter bottle.
They were made in two sizes, ~14-15" and ~17-18". (It's not exact.)

Although your bottle is not signed, and there is no way of telling for certain, I would be happy to suspect that it was made by MH. The way the swirls work in my bottle and the way they work in yours is so, so similar.
It's even unusual to find a bottle with swirls as good as mine, it's quite a spectacular beast and the best I've seen. 8)
But it's what came to mind the second I laid eyes on your bottle - "It looks just like my Seaward!"

I'm sure John will say something when he sees it - he's a serious Attenuated Bottle afficionado and probably knows a good bit more than I do.
It's a fabulous find, Anne. Well done. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
I am certain I know no more than Sue about this! I would agree - an IoWSG attenuated bottle in what gets described as an experimental colourway, 1973 (or perhaps early 74) would be my guess for date. I don't remember seeing anything with just white swirls before so I would say a genuine rarity.

The shape of the bottles evolved slightly over time too, this is distinctly 'club' shaped, this same club shape can be found in blue and white swirls, seaward and the earliest of the tortoiseshell bottles too.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dates, and the observation of the club shape evolving are your input alone, John.
I recognised the early clubbiness of the shape, (that neat little curve in, towards the base) but didn't think it loud enough to mention it. :-[

The fact that it's an experimental colourway also puts it to the early '70s. (and would support the notion that MH made it)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand