No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help identifying mark on hand blown glass pot/urn  (Read 799 times)

Offline MomMomC

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Need help identifying mark on hand blown glass pot/urn
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:29:59 AM »
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I inherited a pot/urn/teapot (not sure what to call it). It was my grandmothers and before she passed away, she gave it to her brother. When he was diagnosed with cancer, he gave it to me. It sat on my grandmother's hutch for as long as I can remember and I'm over 50, so I know it's much older than that. We both tried to read the markings and look it up, but we were unable to find anything.

It is handblown glass and appears to be hand-painted. It is about 12 inches high and 12 inches across from handle to handle and its widest area. Can anyone help me figure out what the marking says or what this is particular "pot" is called? Any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Need help identifying mark on hand blown glass pot/urn
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board! The wording is on the metal I presume from your picture? Century is presumably the metal part maker and the wording below is Pat. Applied For which means a patent, so it would be worth searching the patent registries for Century to see if you can find a match.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
hello - welcome to the GMB.                 Not for tea I wouldn't have thought and probably not a dispenser for alcohol  -  more likely to be a water filter which would have used a carbon block of some form and the taps of these things were often silver plated.
Such gadgets were common in the second half of the C19, and this one I'd imagine dates from somewhere in that period, but difficult to be more precise unless you can find the exact pattern in a catalogue.

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
Do a Google search for 'Paden City glass samovar' and then look at the various 'images' that are available. I think you will see this exact shape (the metal parts will vary widely, so ignore those and just concentrate on the shape of the glass). These sorts of things were also made at Cambridge Glass, and both the Paden City and the Cambridge versions date from the 1920s.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »
thanks James  -  regret I remain ignorant of such things - and lots besides I suspect  -  so for people like me here is a little information.

A true samovar (Russian for 'self-boil' apparently), was a metal urn/container (not glass) for boiling water - typically -  for tea, and some examples are complex in their arrangement for boiling and integral container for the tea concentrate etc.               The glass variants, like many adaptions of utility items for domestic use are attractive, but it occurs to me to wonder if those made of glass such as the one here have been used for boiling water? -  or simply for dispensing the ready made tea  -  Would C19 glass withstand repeated boiling?

I know we should be tolerant  -  but the word faucet does grate so. ;) ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
It always make me think of Farrah Tap-Major.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia