No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help: Two tone (summerso?) amethyst opaline bowl with pulled rim.  (Read 779 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Hi
New poster here. I've acquired quite a few pieces these last few months that I'd love to know more about, so would be really appreciative of any help.
The first item that I'm curious about is an aubergine (in clear glass) and opaline (in a milky purple) bowl with a pulled rim. It's a very elegant piece and I'd love to hear any ideas as to maker and date. It's length is hard to measure because of its design, but it's approx. 23 cm and 18 cm at its fullest height. It weighs 800 grammes. I've seen a few things that are similar in the colourway on the net, but they've not known the maker either. I guess its most distinctive feature, for identification purposes, is a blackened base ( where you'd find the pontil) which has a hard, slightly rough feel unlike glass. Beyond a vague feel of Murano, I really have no idea. Anyway I hope my photos do it justice and once again thanks for any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Re: ID help: Two tone (summerso?) amethyst opaline bowl with pulled rim.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »
Doesn't look as if anyone knows much about this.
Perhaps someone has seen a blackened pontil base like this on something else? That might help me narrow down likely makers. Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
Welcome to GMB!
Sorry Iīve got nothing useful to say about your bowl really, but I thought it would be impolite to leave
you without any answer in your first post.
Please be patient, answers can turn up even after some time.  :)

Meanwhile - I donīt think the pontil area or the planed foot is blackened really, but the impression is a
result of a darker coloured core with an almost opaque layer.
From your picture I canīt make it out Iīm afraid... Is the base slightly matte or is it shiny?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »
Hi -thanks for your interest Kirk.
It is more matte and seems a thin layer rather than something internal. It feels a bit like slate, although I doubt it is. I've tried to take a close up, although I don't know how illuminating this will be.  ;)
It is blacker to the naked eye than what appears in the photo. Cheers.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:47:31 AM »
I have one of these in green and another one in yellow, and have never managed to find out whodunnit. The shape has been done by many makers, notably in Sweden and in France, but copied in a lower (MUCH) lower quality by Ikea and others.

If you twist my arm I'd say, one of the many many Swedish makers. Flygsfors would have been signed and it has a white contour line, so they are out. Eda, Enneryd, Gullaskruf, Skruf, Kosta, Glimma - just go down the list and despair.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
I was wondering if we had to search more east even due to the matte base finish?
Which would of course even elongate the īlist of despairī... :-X
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. As Ivo indicated it is a bit of a 'needle in a haystack'. The closest I've found is some pieces by Bayel so that might be a possibility. It's a nice piece though so I'll just appreciate it for what it is.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand