No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ‘Mystery’ glass paperweight marked Rd. No. 160988 ST. PANCRAS IRON WORKS LONDON  (Read 6225 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
I wasn’t quite sure whether to post this topic under ‘Paperweights’, British & Irish Glass’, or just ‘Glass’, so I will leave to the moderators to decide its ultimate destination.

A clear glass paperweight in the form of a circular column, with a circular boss or foot at the base, and the shaft of the column cut across at an angle. The bottom of the shaft is embossed ‘Rd. No. 160988 ST. PANCRAS IRON WORKS LONDON’. It stands 10.25cm tall and weighs almost 1kg.

(Permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by Mick Davey).

I can’t find Rd. No. 160988 (which should have been registered in November 1890) in any of the ‘normal’ reference lists for glass design registrations, so any information regarding the registration details will be gratefully received.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/St._Pancras_Ironwork_Co
reveals that [in 1868] St. Pancras Ironwork Co. (sic.) were engineers, ironfounders and smiths of Old St. Pancras Road, opposite Old St. Pancras Church, London N.W. and York Road, Kings Cross, London N. I think it was unlikely, therefore, that the paperweight was actually manufactured by the St. Pancras Iron Works. Perhaps it was an advertising piece given away to customers (or even potential customers attending the many industrial exhibitions where the company was showcasing their wares).

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Just to fill in some of the gaps about the St. Pancras Iron Works :

The company was absolutely pivotal to industrial and metallurgical history nationally and worldwide because it was founded by Henry Bessemer (1813-1898) who moved into what was then ‘Baxter House’, St. Pancras, before 23 September 1841 and established the St Pancras Ironworks behind the house. It was here that he developed his "Bessemer Process" for the manufacture of steel. When his process was not taken up by other producers he erected a steelworks in Sheffield which provided quality steel at £20 per ton cheaper than the competitors. This prompted his competitors to licence his process, making Bessemer a millionaire. Bessemer was a prolific inventor and held at least 129 patents, spanning from 1838 to 1883. These included military ordnance, movable dies for embossed postage stamps, a screw extruder to extract sugar from sugar cane, and others in the fields of iron, steel and glass. These are described in some detail in his autobiography.

The original St Pancras Ironworks site was cleared about 1870 to make way for the Midland Railway coal drops. By 1876, their address is given as St. Pancras Road, London N.W.  By 1907, a Motor Show Exhibition description of their Steam Wagon gives the address of manufacture as 171 St. Pancras Road.

The St Pancras Ironworks Co. manufactured a huge variety of utilitarian iron pieces, including manhole covers, gutters; stair treads, and pavement lights and there are some photos of their handiwork at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg1955/3887926365
and
https://morningmistermagpie.com/2015/02/23/st-pancras-ironworks/
Pavement Lights were set into pavements, and they had iron frames into which were set blocks or prisms of glass to let light into cellars, vaults, and basements below. Prisms were used instead of flat glass to disperse the light, diffusing it over a large area; plain flat glass would simply form a bright spot on the floor below, not providing much useful general lighting.
They also manufactured skylights, hot houses, verandahs, and conservatories, all of which were ultimately glazed, so presumably the company had connections with glass manufacturers, as well as Bessemer himself being well versed in the technicalities of glass manufacture.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I've already mentioned to Fred that this one is giving me some problems - I've researched the No. at Kew, but it appears not to be as straightforward as most Registrations, so..........    am presently in discussions with The National Archives and hope to have the answer in part or full within next day or two. :)

In the meantime, I think congratulations to Fred are in order for his work in unearthing much detailed history of this company which makes his posts so much more interesting than many others.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks for the information Fred.  That's a weird shape - is it definitely a paperweight?  might it have been made to fit into something?  not sure what but looks difficult to pick up and move so not the best shape for a weight.  Does it magnify?
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
As for where this belongs in the Board, I think we should wait for some Rd Design details, if they are available.
KevinH

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
m, I just assumed it was a paperweight because it is certainly 'weighty' couldn't think of what else it might be.

I'm not the owner - I just have permission to re-use the photos - so I've no idea if it magnifies or not.

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's a model pavement light surely and thus a paperweight.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
You may well have the answer, Christine, except that I now think that this hefty glass item is an actual glass prism for fitting into an iron frame of the pavement light rather than any kind of model. 

At
http://glassian.org/Prism/Vault/index.html
there is a web page on the subject of  ‘Vault Lights / Pavement Lights / Sidewalk Prisms’ illustrated with a block of 6 pictures in 3 rows of 2.

The left-hand picture of the top row shows 2 of the glass prisms with the legend
“Usually seen in this orientation (when out of context on someone's sales table as a whatsit), but this is upside-down. The prism hangs below, and the flat part is on top, forming the surface to be trodden  upon.”

The right-hand picture of the second row has the legend
“A prism shape is better than just plain flat glass since the prism will disperse some of the light sideways, diffusing and spreading the light over a larger area, and hopefully providing enough natural light to render an underground space usable.”
The diagram of the glass prism bears a gratifying resemblance the  RD 160988 ‘paperweight [or ‘whatsit’ as the previous legend would have it] – see the photo below of the piece ‘turned upside down’

The right -hand picture of the bottom row has the legend
“In the U.K. "pavement lights" were originally set in iron frames, often marked with the name of the foundry (rather than the glassmaker). Later replacements (still being made today) are set in concrete and steel in the U.S. style.”
This shows a rectangular glass prism in situ within the gridded iron frame, but if the frame had circular (rather than rectangular) apertures for the prism, then RD 160988 would be a perfect candidate for the glass prism to fit it. This would also explain the need for the prism to be so thick and substantial to allow the flat part (now on top) to withstand the footfall (hobnail boots and all).   

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
By Jove we've cracked it. I think I may well have seen circular ones

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 I had no idea when I suggested it,  but it just looked like it was supposed to fit into something.

Great sleuthing :) and fantastic to have found out what it really is.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand