No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Opalique Elephant Statuette  (Read 1990 times)

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
Re: Jobling Opalique Elephant Statuette
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
Hello,
         In my first post I assumed that the Elephant without base was earliest form since it is pictured in the 1934 Jobling Catalogue without base and the other later base mounted animals don't appear until the 1935 Supplement Catalogue.Very interesting registration photo's.
Thank you for confirming this for us Paul.
Regards,
William

Offline JOBLINGLASS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • BURTLES TATE AND JOBLING GLASS
    • UNITED KINGDOM
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Hello again,
                   Giving this more thought,could Jobling have applied for another Registration around 1935 (23.1 1935) for the later Elephant with the plinth along with the other plinth mounted animals and that is why the later model is marked "Regn. Appld For" but sometime after application had been made being told that there was no need to register the plinth model separately and that the original Reg. Des.795793 also covered the plinth model.
Regards,
William

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »
Thanks Paul, very interesting to see the original photographs.

Personally I think it's more likely that both versions were available from the outset. I can't see Jobling applying for another registration just to cover the base. They certainly didn't re-register the open footed vase when the base was added and I'm not aware of different registrations for the two variants of the B2 vase/ lamp base (although there were apparently two separate registrations for the 11700 vase variants although I seem to recall they were registered at the same time and I've never been unable to establish whether the first actually went into production). The Jobling catalogues are not comprehensive and we already know there are several designs and variants of known models which weren't catalogued (e.g. flower salad drainer, fir cone and flower vases, etc.).

Interestingly around the same time Verlys made an elephant and calf figure which also comes in two versions: one with a base and one without. Perhaps one was intended to use as a paperweight and the other as a decorative figure?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand