No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Blue Stripe  (Read 2161 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Crystal Blue Stripe
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »
Ok guys, lets beat this out :)
I've read this is a Harris 'colourway' can any one put up pics of defo Harris pieces in this colour (pre'72).
How long did it go on for, can you tell the difference between early and later piece by the colour.
Any info would be great.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Crystal Blue Stripe
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:05:31 PM »
Nothing much to beat out, Wolfie. It's been in production since practically the start, without a break.
I have bits with the very early thin sort of loopy-script written Mdina, the style we now know to be Dobson.
You can tell some later bits from the shape,.
The blue stripes had silver chloride applied to them as they were being applied to the body - a technique used inside the cut-ice lollipops, verdala bowls and the early stuff i call "seaweed" so that does take it back to MH.

Some bits have a lot more silver chloride than others, there seem to be about two "lots" of very heavy use, one earlier, (which can give rise to a very ambery sort of lot of colours) and then later, a whole load of very bright stuff started coming out.
The blue is a bit paler, and the sliver chloride stays pale too, the clear stays clear. You'll find flared rim vases and decanters in that style.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
Thanks so much Sue, I would love to see some pics up of CBS pieces and the rough dates they where made to see difference?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
I'm clueless about when they were made, unless I can tell from a Dobson or much later looking mark on the bottom, or from the shape. I'll have a dig around the pc. I can't find any glass in the house just now, we've got building works going on and Michael has been shifting my stuff. >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
I'm struggling to find any Crystal Blue Stripe pieces that are early 1970's?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:13 AM »
Never seen a Harris era piece personally, anywhere, until one appears will carry on doubting any exist.

Sue use the phrase 'from the start', certainly not from the beginnings of the glassworks in 1969. Maybe the 'start' after Harris left though.

John

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
I spent an hour yesterday going through everything image wise I could find on the internet and lots of stuff was clearly 1980s onwards, but I couldn't find anything that could not have been made in the late 1970s, not mid or earlier.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
Some examples, the first with satin finish, the last I suspect is later in date than the others.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
Some nice examples there.......  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Those last 3 I would put in the much later, very bright category.  :)
The first sort of globe shaped one, is similar to the ones I consider to be early-ish, that's the style and shape you most often see with the loopy thin Mdina script, but satinating did not start until '86 (I think)

I've not seen any without flared rims, so I think John must be correct in stating that they really are a bit later, and after the arrival of Boffo.

But before that, silver chlorided straps were added to a bubbly yellow background, to make vertical stripes on, for example Onions and other smaller vessels, which often do have small button rims and they were used in lollipops.
Crystal blue stripe is the silver chlorided strapping over a crizzle background.

This is an image of a tiny rimmed silver chlorided blue strapped over bubbly yellow background.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand