No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large speckled blown bowl. ID = Webb Corbett  (Read 3771 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Large speckled blown bowl. ID = Webb Corbett
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
Hi guys, I purchased this bowl from an antiques fair yesterday, I took a bit of a gamble as I wasn't sure who made it. It was one of those ones where you think it must be something good, well hopefully :)
It is 10" across and heavy at just over 2kg.
It is thickly cased on the inside in yellowy glass, or rather the first gather was a ball of yellow glass. You can clearly see this line of casing from the top view pic. I think it has then rolled in silver choride (I might be wrong there, it could be some sort of dark yellow glass powder) then in frit applied. The frit is red and blue but because it has been thinly cased on the outside in yellow the blue frit looks green. You can see this where the pontil has been ground into the frit.
The base has a large, almost 3" pontil which is smooth but not highly polished. The base has been put on the flattening disc which has produced a flat 1/2" ring around the pontil and this area shows plenty of age related wear.
Any ideas? Tia, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large speckled blown bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:19:53 PM »
The first thing that springs to mind is Webb Corbett for some reason.

It does remind me slightly of their Agate Flambe but I don't know enough about it nor have seen enough pieces to know if the colour is laid on in the same way.  I have one piece and the colour is laid on differently to yours.  But still, that is what springs to mind, so might be worth searching a little on that angle.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
I have Strathearn stuck in my brain. I don't think the base is right, but I might be wrong.
What shape is the profile? Is there aventurine in it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
I wondered if it might be Scottish? There is no adventurine in it. I think Webb would have polished the pontil? Another point is that I'm sure it is lead crystal.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »
 ::)
It would have helped if it did have aventurine. It looks less Strathearn-y now I see the profile, but it's the patterning of the colours that's gone awry, not the shape.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »
this was posted as a 'STeuben or STevens williams moss agate ' and I'm pretty sure it's a Webb Corbett Agate flambe.
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/5715143

think it's a similar shape to your bowl and similar colouring.
And yes, I'm pretty sure yours is a Webb Corbett Agate Flambe :)

(caveat - obvs I could be wrong - hopefully someone else will confirm that id :)  )

m

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
I have checked pics of Agate Flambe and it looks too blue, its apparent supposed to look like the semi-precious stone blue john. I think it might be this Moss Agate by Stevens & Williams. It is defo the same maker as this,
http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/ehtom1.html

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
Webb Corbetts Agate Flambe came in two kinds of colours - yours and a purply base colour.

edited to add: And yes, those vases are the same decor as your bowl.

Stevens and Williams Moss Agate is different.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
see my post above this one and also from Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass:
page 111 plate 217 shows those vases from the Saleroom link you gave, in their taller versions but otherwise identical including the oddly angled base profile.
the plate was issued in the 1920s by Webb Corbett for their 'Agate Flambe, The New English Art Glass'.

Which I think is the confirmation that your bowl is indeed Webb Corbett Agate Flambe :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand