No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gold/mixed? Isle of Wight Aurene large goblet/footed pedestal bowl info please?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi I have been on iowstudio glass collections and seen this is an aurene decor and in gold (unless it's multi as there's different colours of blue etc?) I have owned Aurene items before and believe it's the same decor, though the foot/stem is a different coloured vivid clear blue colour to the darker blue in the bowl/cup.
 http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/aurene
There are goblets similar(ish to me anyway) in style to this piece on that website and it says they were believed to all be made by Micheal Harris and date from mid 1970's.
There's plenty of age related wear to the base of this piece and no makers marks or labels. . The pale gold colours within the decoration are Iridescent.
I'm not sure if it's a large goblet or a footed pedestal bowl as it stands 6" tall and is 5" wide diagonally across the upper lip.
Could anyone tell me if this is gold or mixed colour variation please? Is it a goblet or a footed bowl please and is there any way to tell who the maker at Isle of Wight was please?
Many thanks
Chriss

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
I have had a couple of the goblets but that is really big so perhaps it is a footed bowl. Definitely Isle of Wight Studio Glass though.

Like the paperweights and small bullet bowls the goblets do not conform to the standard colour ranges but in this case Aurene seems fair enough.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It certainly looks like an early Aurene goblet from IoWSG.  :)

Can I ask, is the photo "squished" or is this really the shape? I am assuming it is right, because of the dimensions you give, so I'm going to carry on and say That I suspect this is an early, experimental piece, made before Aurene was fully developed into an official range.
I have a few pieces of early experimental strapped "Aurene", produced using some enamels that the Harris family brought back from Malta, and so have the Mdina teal blue in them, rather than the more cobalt blue used at IoWSG.
You say there are different shades of blue in this?
If there is the Mdina teal, that would indicate use of enamels brought back from Malta.
The very wide shape is not standard at all.

I do think this is IoWSG, and an early, experimental Aurene-style.
I am not able to comment of who might have made it, it's possible it was Michael Harris, but it doesn't scream MH at me. Some of his work doesn't. ;D

I have a feeling that the definition of whether something is gold or blue Aurene, depends on which colour is on top, but I also think that most of us just call all of it Aurene.

(John and I were replying at the same time.  :))
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriss

• Members
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. A top view of this glass shows more clearly why I thought it's aurene (or early aurene experimental as its been suggested) I think, and the iow wiki dot website was where I got the gold or mixed idea as they say blue to the base and the ochre to the top portion, but as there's the teal stem and Iridescent gold swirls that's why I suggested mixed colour? It makes sense that they may have made it using Mdina materials, I've never seen that colour in iow glass (which doesn't mean a lot) but have seen loads in Mdina glass (I collected it years ago and still have some floating round ) the blue within the bowl is far darker than the stem and is the blue I've seen before in Aurene 😀 The images haven't been squashed in any way I don't think (not intentiobally anyway). The photos were taken using a square frame on an iPad and the only editing was to shrink the image to fit on here, I've checked and apart from the angle of the foot looking a bit lop sided due to the angle of the photo (which it's not) then proportionately it looks to me to be a true reflection of the profile :) the measurements I initially gave are slightly wrong sorry (that's what you get when asking a teenager for their help .... ) it stands 5 and 3/4" tall, 2 and 3/4" of that is the clear teal blue stem. The upper rim is also 5 and 1/4" wide, it's quite heavy, but I've only got suitcase scales which make it 0.58 kilo but it's prob a bit heavier than that. Thanks for your help, and if you need any more images, let me know please? 😀

Offline chriss

• Members
Here's an exact profile of this glass or as near as I can do anyway :) thanks again for your help and info 😀

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
When compared with the profiles of these two, it looks less like a goblet and more like a bowl or perhaps even a chalice.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
John and I are replying at the same time again  :)- yes, this is a decidedly unusual shape, not a normal (and scarce!) Aurene goblet, but a proper bit of something early and experimental.
I might perhaps describe it as a small chalice rather than a footed bowl.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi and thanks for the replies and photo, much appreciated 😀 In the photo shown by glassobsessed, the goblet on the left of the pair looks to me like it's virtually the same types of glass combination, decor and style, but this chalice is just different proportions and size (with you both suggesting Chalice as a possibility, then I'm going with that  ;D )
I'm tempted to take it to the glass fair next month as there were 2 IOW stands there last time? 😀
Thanks for your help again
 Chriss

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :-[

Hang on a minute. I see comet-like trails of silver deposit around it, on the surface. Michael Harris could do that, and very early on at IoWSG, he was about the only person who could attempt anything large.
It could well be his work after all.
At Mdina, Vicente Boffo and Joseph Said (eventually) managed to produce comet-like trails, but there wasn't anybody else, as far as I know, at IoWSG who could.
 ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriss

• Members
thank you  ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand