No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: When did pressed glass houses stop relying on Brummie mould makers?  (Read 992 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Just after an opinion here. In researching early pressed glass (1830s) I was of the opinion all glass houses were reliant on Birmingham mould makers for the early pieces, as this was the centre of such skills. I had assumed that before too long the skill would be spread around but after finding a newspaper clipping today doing some research, I was surprised to see signs the reliance was still there circa 1870.

This from the Birmingham Daily Post 1869, an advert placed by Molineaux Webb of Manchester:

To glass mould makers and die sinkers - WANTED, a workman to cut from the plain surface

---
Unusual for a Manchester manufacturer to be advertising in Birmingham, suggests there were no skills locally.

Any thoughts as to when this dependency on Birmingham might have finally broken, if ever?

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
Re: When did pressed glass houses stop relying on Brummie mould makers?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
Here is another post on the GMB concerning Birmingham mould makers.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56013.msg317388.html#msg317388

It looks like Sowerby or Davidson 'imported' some Birmingham mould makers.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: When did pressed glass houses stop relying on Brummie mould makers?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »
Thanks,

I punted this question to one of my other contacts who said that such skills were poached by Sowerby in the North East. Samuel Neville, ex Bacchus and Green, opened a new pressed only venture with Sowerby in 1847.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand