No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID of Scottish Paperwieght needed. ID = Paul Ysart  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Shiralee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights, all things glass
    • Australia
Help with ID of Scottish Paperwieght needed. ID = Paul Ysart
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help identifying my latest paperweight. I presume it's Scottish but other that that, I know nothing about it. Any help with its age or the glass maker would be great.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help with ID of Scottish Paperwieght needed
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Hi Shiralee, welcome to the GMB.

Wow! Nice weight. And quite rare, too.

I believe this was made by Paul Ysart and very likely from his "1970s period" at the Harland works. But it may have been made earlier than that!

We have evidence of a similar weight that Paul Ysart made while he was at the Moncrieff's works (1930s to early 1960s). Please see: Rare Monart Paperweight - Thistle Design

A green-white "jasper" ground was certainly used by Paul Ysart in the 1950s, but I am thinking the shade of green in this weight is more likely to be from the 1970s.

See also http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP2021.htm, item 2028 for a script signed version (but date not stated) showing the same general layout.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Shiralee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights, all things glass
    • Australia
Re: Help with ID of Scottish Paperwieght needed
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Thanks KevinH,  Thank you for the information, certainly a rare find in Australia, my first Paul Ysart.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand