No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Purple Marbled Glass Inkwell Stand Patern 1291  (Read 1537 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Sowerby Purple Marbled Glass Inkwell Stand Patern 1291
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
I think this is a rare Sowerby glass inkwell stand in purple marbled glass pattern 1291.

It's the first one I have seen myself.
Marked on the base with trade mark and date lozenge for 20th Feb 1878.

Length 8.5"
Height just under 3"

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Purple Marbled Glass Inkwell Stand Patern 1291
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
very nice Roy  -  of the seven Registrations on that day  -  Nos. 318789 - 95 ....   this was allocated No. 318792, and is described on the original factory drawing, and in the Register, as 'inkstand'.              Unfortunately, another of the purple pencil drawings and despite my best efforts what you will see is the best I can do.
Simon Cottle's book 'Sowerby - Gateshead Glass' names all seven pieces correctly, but as we know from previous discussions on these particular Registrations from the 20th of February 1878, in error the book shows January rather than February as the month of Registration.      It does appear than this is Sowerby factory pattern No. 1291, and assume the shape is a diamond of sorts rather than square.

Edited to add.......   picture now attached.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
Thanks Paul

It is diamond shape length 8.5" and width 5.5" .

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:07:51 PM »
Thank you, Paul and Roy, for showing these.

Certainly a rare piece, especially in purple marbled glass.

The only one I have seen before was in clear glass (see attached photo, copyright Christine Young).

It is shown on page 5 of Sowerby pattern book IX (1882), complete with its stopper (which is, obviously, easily broken or mislaid).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »
disappointing that the factory drawing omits the stopper  -  shame you don't have yours Roy.

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »
I had one of these for a while. Sold it to Raymond Slack. I can tell you that the stopper is exactly as shown on the pattern design. I know because my stopper was badly chipped at the top and, as I had a faceting machine, I cut four new polished facets to the tip to make it more presentable. It was sold to Slack with him knowing that. So someone somewhere out there has a slightly different stopper on a purple slag glass version of this patter.

Michael.

Offline john morris

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • victorian sowerby glass
    • Devon United kingdom
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
I have this Sowerby Purple Malachite Ink Well pat No 1292, It has its stopper. I bought it in camden passage London in 1991. In 25+ years collecting Sowerby its the only one I have seen with its stopper One was sold in the Raymond Slack sale in September 1989 lot 252 guide price £200-£300 but was sold  for £70 hammer. John.M.

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »
Might have been mine then! Will have to see if I can find the catalogue......

Offline john morris

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • victorian sowerby glass
    • Devon United kingdom
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
Dear Mike.
I found it interesting your story about the Sowerby inkwell that you sold to Raymond
Slack,I assume that this would have been the same one that was sold in his sale in 1989. I have had a good look at the stopper from my inkwell and the stopper has not been altered and is just as it came out from mold with just a few minor nicks, so it was not your one, yours is still out there somewhere hopefully well appreciated for it's scarcity. Regards John.M.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand