No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Semi circular flower frogs RD 694154  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Semi circular flower frogs RD 694154
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Asking for a friend who has a pair of uranium semicircular flower frogs with an Rd No of RD 694154-5-6-1...Would this be an English Rd No or not...and does anyone have any idea who they were reg to please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Semi circular flower frogs RD 694154
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:27:25 AM »
Given that I've seen three sets of these (one uranium, two clear glass) and all three were listed by US-based sellers I'd be looking that side of the pond, Angela.  It's not an RD no. that comes up in either the book or website listings, not on the Nat. Archives catalogue, so my feeling is not a British registration.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
In the Glass Association 'Blue Book', there are Registration Nos. 694155 and 694157 both dated 15th November 1922 and which were allocated to British American Glass Co., Ltd. - about whom I know nothing, unfortunately.
I don't fully understand the Nos. Angela is quoting - that last digit of a '1', seems out of sequence with the others??, or am I just being thick.
Presumably we have to view the image side on? ;)

Perhaps Fred or Anne can tell us something about the Registrant.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »
Curiously my friend is American so maybe you are right with USA connections...but I got her to send me a better picture and the last figure looks like a 7 to me not a 1 as she thought....

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
I'd agree with you Angela  -  it does seem to be a seven  -  and it's possible I suppose that these four Nos. are the constituent parts of one overall item consisting of four related parts    ........   say a vase, frog, stand and maybe something else  -  but that's just my speculation, and these may well be unconnected designs.              If you wish me to look in the Kew archives so that we can be sure of the matter, do let me know.

By implication, and as with other publications showing details of Board of Trade Design Registrations which we use on the GMB, it has to be assumed that everything in the Blue Book is CLASS III i.e. glass  -  so why Nos. .....4 and ......6 are not included in the book is a mystery - at least for the time being :)

There may well be a States connection via this Company, or of course it may just be that the style of the name is a coincidence.          Do you know where you friend sourced these frogs, and is your friend States based?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Re. The British American Glass Co. Ltd.:

http://www.artdecopotteries.co.uk/myottagents.html
speaking about the 1930s (I think]
The British American Glass Company Limited was drafted in by [the pottery firm] Myotts to enhance the profile of the pottery abroad. The extent of British American Glass' involvement was extensive, to the magnitude of warranting its own mark on the base of Myott's Art Deco output to accompany the famous Gold crown mark of Myott. BAG Co Ltd mark is often seen on Art Deco styled export items which are often floral in nature. Some BAG pieces have a secondary pattern mark beginning BG and followed by a one or two digit number.
London:
British American Glass Co. Ltd., 13, Charterhouse Street, Holborn, London, E. C. 1.

A quick check with professor Google reveals that 13, Charterhouse Street, Holborn, has housed offices and showrooms for a number of glass importers and import agents since at least the 1890s,
and
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1951_Directory_for_the_British_Glass_Industry:_Companies_J
has the following occupant
JOBLING (JAMES A.) & CO. LTD., WEAR GLASS WORKS, SUNDERLAND, Co. DURHAM. T.A., "Greener, Sunderland". T .N., Sunderland 2882/4 (3 lines). London Office: 13 CHARTERHOUSE STREET, E.C.1. T.N., HOLborn 7904. Established approximately 1850; Incorporated 1921.

It is not improbable, therefore, that the British American Glass Co. Ltd. acted as British-based registrants for designs to be manufacturered by American firms.

Fred.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:42:03 PM »
Wow thank you Fred for that very comprehensive reply...my friend will be thrilled.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
The one on eBay completed listing here has characters also but they are suggested as being
"Green glass flower frogs .  Each measures 11".  On each piece there is :ROG9454-5-6-7   Two pieces one price"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flower-Frog-green-glass-/192111208170

The clear ones on ebay appear to be smaller and not have the characters:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Deco-glass-flower-frog-crescents-possibly-Cambridge-/322439492730
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Piece-Posy-Pansy-Vase-Flower-Frog-Heavy-Glass-Half-Circles-Vintage-1930s-/371810549108
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Vintage-Unique-Depression-Glass-Semi-Half-Circle-Flower-Frog-Floral-Arranging-/252629664194 (different shaped holes on this pair)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
I think that green pair may actually be the ones my friend purchased....I think maybe the seller mistook the D in RD for an O and the 6 they have mistaken for a G...the first pair of clear ones on Ebay belong to Nigel I will ask him if they have numbers too.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
I appreciate there wasn't any request to see original factory drawings etc., but wanted to satisfy my own curiosity as to the meaning of all four Reg. Nos., and as I now have details it may be of some future benefit if Fred is able to add to the Board's archive.
The two separate shapes - the half and full circle, were both Registered twice, hence the four numbers  -  each shape being Registered under both CLASS 1 and CLASS IV ...............   metal and pottery respectively.          There is no mention in the archives of CLASS III (glass), and whether in fact these things were ever made in metal and/or pottery I've no idea.               Designs being Registered in more than one CLASS isn't unknown but probably uncommon.

It's a tad academic to add four pix when two would suffice, but it does make sure that everyone can see that despite there being four consecutive Reg. Nos. there are in fact only two separate designs.

The Blue Book is correct to include only two Registration Nos., since there are only two separate designs  -  but why the author chose 694155 and 694157 I don't understand  ..................  none of them is CLASS III, and you'd think that the natural choice would have been Rd. Nos.  ......4 and ......6.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand