No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green pattern bottle identification. Riihimaki Look a like  (Read 600 times)

Offline BeckyWinter

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Wales
Green pattern bottle identification. Riihimaki Look a like
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »

Hi all, New to the forum. I'd just like to say thank you for the great resource. Some of the posts here have been very useful. I'm trying to learn about glass as my family worked in the Stourbridge glass industry. It's proving to be a very hard topic!

I wondered if anyone could help me identify this bottle. It looks like old or low quality glass, lots of bubbles and inclusions. It looks like a Riihimaki design but there are no seam lines down the sides. There are no other distinguishing marks. Any help would be grately appreciated. Many thanks!

Dimensions are
Height 10 inches
Width of base 9cm
Depth 5.5 cm
Bottle opening just over 3cm

I did take a few more photos but only allowed to post 4 so if any more would help I'll happily post them later. Thank you so much

I have posted a link to the images I hope that's ok as I have tried about 6 times to resize and post images with no luck :(

https://imgur.com/gallery/3pINn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Green pattern bottle identification. Riihimaki Look a like
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
I've seen a few of Helena Tynells' that are definitely her design but were never made as bottles.
I have a Kaappikello vase in dark green but have seen her Aitan lukko vases in a bottle form also.
My thoughts were that they were Italian copies only due to the quality.

Ben

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BeckyWinter

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Thank so much for the input Ben! Was copying of this glass quite a common occurrence then? I wondered whether it might be an earlier test but the glass does look quite imperfect in its composition,  although having never handled an original piece I have nothing to compare. The similar vase I saw had seam lines down either side and this doesn't have them so I did spend a while wondering how it was made differently

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
The mould seam lines are down the corners I think: look at the neck

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »
There are copies all over the place most recently from China, their work is getting better.
Some of their pieces are so similar to Czech designs, its hard to tell them apart.
Her glass was usually mould blown so you don't see seam lines and these Kaappikello were cased in clear glass.
Check out the designlasi website, its got some great info and wonderful glass on show.

Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand