No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Mdina Paperweight  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Large Mdina Paperweight
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:48:48 PM »
Bought this in a little lot yesterday.
This thing is the largest one I've seen. Weighs 2.5KG, 4" tall and 5" tall (20p coin added for size compare)
Is this thing supposed to be a paperweight? I think it classes more as a weapon.
Isn't signed and the base looks rather dodgy compared to the simple smooth ones I regularly see.
Any info welcome.

Ben

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large Mdina Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Many, many years ago I thought I was buying the biggest Mdina pwt ever. According to the seller, it should have been the size of a rugby ball, so I was very disappointed to get a titchy little minnow the same size as this.  ;D
The seller had mixed inches and centimetres up.
I think these very big ones are quite early, but pwts are not my thing, I normally ignore them. I only wanted one the same size as a rugby ball. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
Hi Ben,

That is certainly a fair size and weight! I've had fish vases that weigh less!

In terms of its finish Mdina glass has always been a little random, though there is of course potential for it to have been a practice piece for an apprentice or just a rough finish. Definitely Mdina though so nothing to worry about I don't think.

I'm open to being corrected but given it's size and weight I would imagine it to be a doorstop. I have an Isle of Wight studio glass one and they are humongous things, akin to more a weapon as you say rather than their implied use!

A nice find though, can't say I've seen a large amount in this size.

Hope this is of some help.

Will

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
I'm the same as you Chopin, they're not my thing but it did come with some rather nice goblets which will hopefully be listed later.
Been much easier recently to photograph glass nicely with the weather as of late here in sunny Britain ;D
My thoughts were to an earlier practice piece as well but always nice to get a second opinion.
I'll perhaps move it from the side though in case it falls on anyone's foot  :P

Ben

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
Just a bit of extra info...

On page 36 of Mark Hill's book is says (I will paraphrase and put in bullet points so its easier to read to save writing it all out!)

. C.1970

. Paperweights were avaliable in different sizes with the largest being over 4'' in diameter and rarer.

. They are rarer due to their size and diffculty in making them, many cracked or shattered due to the outer layers of glass cooling more rapidly therefore causing internal stresses (possibly why the base is seemingly rough).

. Many of the larger weights were also used as doorstops due to their immense weight, as a result many are often damaged.

I think I've covered everything there! ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
Mdina doorstops are even bigger than this and they have knobs on top.
The Tiger one on the left is 6.5" tall.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
Even more weapons to look out for!
Some of these paperweights are so under rated I should buy them more often.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I sold my Mdina book so no longer have access to the facts :-\

Ben

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
I believe that design started out as a chess set initially and they adopted it to become paperweights and doorstops. With the introduction of the horse you see from the 80's, though I've never seen as big horses as you see the size of the pawns like Sue's.

This would have been intended as a paperwight, but practicality in the larger sizes makes them more realisitic as doorstops. Lugging around 2.5KG to hold down paper is very over the top I think! So people I would assume opted to use the larger ones like yours as doorstops as Mark says.

But as Sue pointed out the more purpose built doorstops are far larger than the ones produced/ used as doorstops in the early 70's.

Not a problem, happy to help! That's a shame about you selling your book, they are silly money to buy now! Not sure what I'd do without mine.

Will

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
I'm not exactly sure where we are on info. regarding Said's "chess set design".
Something is niggling at me that it got debunked.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:19:02 PM »
Oh really? The only info that I'm aware of is that they were made by commision only and I imagine in frightfully small numbers.

But you could be right, though if one ever did come to light I would have to have it! Chances of the whole set surviving and being together would be a miracle though. I have always thought it strange that I've only ever come across the 'Knight' and 'Pawn'. They could have done a cracking 'Rook' with their logo design implemented.

Another Mdina mystery!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand