No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cameo cut ocean theme on a large blue ball  (Read 1184 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Cameo cut ocean theme on a large blue ball
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »
This unusual object came from a local market, where the seller described its origins as "the fellow from Byron". I take it he meant glassblower Colin Heaney of Byron Bay, which is a town nearby. The outer blue iridescence does suggest that source. The item is only roughly ground off at the base, which suggests it may be intended to be part of some larger sculptural work, and that may add to the evidence for a local source. The top is chipped a bit, but whether that made it a second, or that damage happened outside the studio, there is no way to tell.

The oceanic design is cut into the surface, I presume by sandblasting (that being faster and safer than acid, and the edges are sharp).

Why am I asking here? The item is unsigned, but there is a logo included in the design. I cannot figure it out, although one guess was a monogram of the initials LJ. Someone cleverer than me has suggested I should turn it upside down (as in the last photo), where I will see a volcano over the ocean framed by ionic columns (with the sun and moon looking down). That suggests the Mediterranean rather than the east coast of Australia.

Does anyone recognise the logo?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Cameo cut ocean theme on a large blue ball
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »
Darn, the last photo didn't invert. Here is another go.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
that's gorgeous.

Is the interior layer multi coloured?

m

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
Thanks for looking, m.

Yes, there are streaks of blue on a white background inside. The blue and white layer is below the surface even where the outer layer is cut away. It seems there is another layer of clear in between (although that clear intermediate layer is frosted by the etching).

I forgot to say, the ball is about 15cm diameter and slightly taller than that because of the base and top.

Trevor

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »
Trevor Hokitika have a 'volcano' :) in their logo (except it's part of the glass furnace  :)  )

I don't think they make this kind of glass though.

https://www.hokitikaglass.co.nz/

However perhaps what you are seeing a volcano might be representing a furnace instead?  A furnace near the sea, greek columns? night and day representing the furnace always burning?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »
oh and have you checked out Gordon Studio glass?

I'm sure they or someone in the family, does cameo glass.
mm, having checked I was thinking of Alasdair and Rish Gordon but I think  their work is hand carved so perhaps not them.  But do have a look at their work which is very beautiful :)
http://www.gordonstudio.com.au/engravers/engravers/folio.html

The iridescence is beautiful and reminds me of Norman Stuart Clarke's iridescence. 

Shape wise it reminds me of a boule/knop on a stair case bannister :)

This was my Sarah Cowans (during Moorcroft ownership) for Okra paperweight - the fish and seaweed was iridescent and it had a mottled layer.  I've seen the mottled layer on other Okra pieces as well and also the blue iridescence. 
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39471.msg218679.html#msg218679

m

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
The "volcano" in the Hokitika logo looks like a fume hood over the furnace. Perhaps the "water" in my logo is meant to be a pool of molten glass, suggesting the furnace by its contents. The sun and moon fit nicely with the "day and night" imperatives of a glass furnace, as you say. Without the volcano in the logo, my focus is coming closer to home again. (I still need to interpret those "ionic columns", though.)

The etching does not have the fine detail or exquisite finish of any of the Gordon family (Alasdair, Rish or Kevin).

Your suggestion of its domestic use as the knop on a bannister reminds me that I have seen photos taken inside Colin Heaney's house, where there were many outrageous structural and decorative elements in glass. Now where...

Trevor

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:51:19 AM »
did you see my Sarah Cowans for Okra link and info?

Yes I agree not Gordon work or Lisabeth Sterling or Terri Colledge or Kelsey Murphy or Chris Carpenter.

The closest I've seen is the Okra suggestion

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54:55 AM »
and also Colin Heaney photograph of giant boule sculpture here
https://www.byronnews.com.au/news/apn-colin-to-shape-new/141011/

and more pics here of the house
https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/the-house-of-heaney/1827941/#/0

I can't see anything by Heaney that appears to be sandblasted cameo
however this piece does have that multi coloured mottled interior layer
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COLIN-HEANEY-CAPE-BYRON-HOT-GLASS-CYLINDER-IRIDESCENT-VASE-/291976127049?hash=item43fb222249:g:b4kAAOSwImRYV0yX

Sean O'Donoghue does sand-etched work (at least I think it is)
http://seanodonoghue.com.au/index.php/image-gallery/10-tree-of-life
http://seanodonoghue.com.au/index.php/image-gallery/7-vases

(waiting up for one of my kids to come home from a party so having fun browsing glass :)  )

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »
Hi m, I've come full circle to think it is from Colin Heaney's studio. The logo goes the second way up and the components most likely have the meanings we've suggested. Now we've been forced to think harder about it, we hazily recall seeing the logo on a board out the front of the studio in Byron Bay. There's nothing of it left now, as can be seen from the Google Street View of 6 Acacia Street.

Thanks for all the data including the house photos and the internally mottled piece. This latter bit of evidence is significant, I think, because the mottling is so similar. At its peak, there were 15 people working in his studio, and there was lots of experimentation going on. It is quite conceivable that someone or a combination of people had the skills to do this. The Heaney operation did commissions for Saudi palaces, so some way-out pieces would have been attempted.

He sold the house a couple of years ago. The listing is still on the agent's website:
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-byron+bay-119552843

Yes, I've seen the Sean O'Donoghue sand-etched pieces. He showed us the machine when it was new and he was experimenting with it.

I did look at your Okra link. I got badly sidetracked by the question "What is cameo glass?". I agree with your broader use of the term, perhaps with suitable qualifiers where necessary for clarity. For those who insist on a narrower definition of "cameo", I note that some writers say the word refers to carving that reveals white figures on a dark background!

Trevor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand