No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help id perfume/scent bottle  (Read 961 times)

Offline eggar

• Members
help id perfume/scent bottle
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
could someone be able to identify a possible maker of this perfume bottle, the colour is a green adventurine type very similar to nazeing or monart etc, i've looked everywhere with no success, thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: help id perfume/scent bottle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
hi  -  unfortunately, your picture is way too small - you will need to enlarge please.             If you make the first dimension 700 then this will remedy the situation, and there is plenty of techie advice on the Board to help you. :)          http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eggar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
hope this is better

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
sorry, I'm none the wiser as to origin etc., but yes, your picture is much better.
I think the word is 'aventurine' - which apparently is a form of quartz with mineral inclusions which give that glistening and sparkle effect in the light.
this effect has been simulated, in glass, for a long time, using materials like gold and silver foil, real gold leaf, copper flakes etc. -  much use of this made I think in glass from Murano, but am fairly sure never used by Nazeing, although not sure about Monart/Strathearn.         Famous last words, but am sure not a Nazeing shape, although appreciate the reasoning behind the suggestion of this factory.

Have to say I forgot to remind you to also include some idea of size/dimension - this won't generally provide provenance, but may well be helpful in some obscure form
Could be wrong, but I'd suggest the stopper in this piece isn't sufficiently effective for a scent/perfume container - so often these stoppers simply aren't a good seal against evaporation etc. - although perhaps could be for cologne/toilet water.

Glass designs/shapes/colour are beyond measure, and without a backstamp/label etc., I suspect you are sadly onto a loser with this one, which appreciate always disappoints, but regret that's the world of glass for you.
Head on block, I'd make a guess and suggest eastern Europe - possibly Czechoslovakian - mid C20, although date might depend to some extent on wear, which is always worth mentioning.

Of course if there is aventurine in this piece, then do shout and put me right pronto :)

Offline eggar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
thanks for the reply, I used the word aventurine  to try to explain the speckled pattern to the glass if you know what I mean, it measures 7 3/4 ins high and the stopper is ground to fit giving it an air tight seal, I've looked all over and can't find anything like it, one day maybe, thanks anyway

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
On a point of grammar, "adventurine" is often used in the USA rather than "aventurine".
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
you may be correct Kevin  -  I'd assumed it was simply a corrupted pronunciation leading to a misspelling.          I didn't quote my source, but I did check in Leslie Pina's 'FIFTIES GLASS' (published by Schiffer in 2000), prior to typing, and 'aventurine' is the only spelling used, a number of times.       Oddly the word doesn't appear in the book's index. 

Just for the pedantic amongst us ;)  the book's glossary reads  ..........
""Avventurina, aventurine  -  In the fifteenth century, aventurine glass achieved its metallic effect by using gold inclusion; since the seventeenth century, the same effect has been accomplished by combining copper particles with the hot glass.""

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
You are quite correct Paul....  adventurine is a miss-spelling,  rather akin to the miss-spelling of Wedgwood, so often spelled Wedgewood.  When these incorrect spellings get used over and over again, sadly they become 'fact', so it is right to correct them. 
All that said, we did know what you meant eggar. :)
Size would be a help, and also a base picture and a separate picture of the stopper on its own. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand