No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi is this antique inkwell French please? poss Baccarat Bambou Tors? Thanks  (Read 677 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi could anyone confirm if this antique inkwell is French please, I believe it's Baccarat Bambou Tors or Swirl? The glass/crystal decor seems the same to me, but it's the ornate pierced lid that I'm not sure of? The metal used to be silver plate as you can see in areas where the residue of the plate remains. The lid is hollow and has a different floral pierced decor to exterior and interior The inside of the inkwell has ink residue and the base of the crystal is polished and ground with lots of age related shelf wear to it, but no makers marks or labels, it's a beautiful piece though. I've tried looking through the Baccarat catalogues that I can find online, but I can't find this piece, any info greatfully received please? Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriss

• Members
Here's the base, sorry could only upload 4 pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Hello,

I guess you're right about it being French but I'm not sure if it's Baccarat. Even though it's mentioned that Baccarat started signing its pieces as from +/- 1935, there are early pieces that are press marked, so this theory is not completely clear to me. I had two 'Locuste' vases from the period 1870-1893 and they were signed with a press mark.
The Bambou décor was used by several companies and not exclusively by Baccarat. I'll have to dig a bit but maybe somebody else knows more in the meantime.

Nice item though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand