No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian Glasses and Pitcher  (Read 697 times)

Offline susanbowers

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Venetian glass
    • England
Venetian Glasses and Pitcher
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
Hi.  This Venetian glass set has been in my family for over 60 years.  I know nothing of its provenance and it has no markings.  I know for certain it is Venetian.  Can anyone help me?  I would like to know any details about it and whether it is worth anything or just glass.  Thank you in anticipation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Venetian Glasses and Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
hello Susan - welcome to the GMB.             Not my sort of glass, at least not to collect, although I've owned a few of these richly coloured and heavily gilded pieces in years gone by.
My thoughts on these things was always that they originated in eastern Europe - Czechoslvakia mostly - where there was a substantial tourist industry producing water sets and similar shapes, generally from the period 1950 - 70, and this heavily gilded appearance was typical of that output.           But no doubt other countries made them too.

Nothing is ever junk glass  -  there's always someone to love most things, although the fashion for this type of glass has probably now waned somewhat.          Regret to say we don't discuss values on the GMB - we all have a different view on what is desirable or not, the consequence of which is that if you ask a dozen people what something is worth you'll probably get a dozen different opinions.     You will possibly get an idea of values from on line auctions sites.

You sound very dogmatic about 'Venetian' - presume this is because a relative, or maybe yourself -  has confirmed this was purchased from Italy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Can you post bigger pictures please, as these ones don't blow up so we can see detail. Crop the excess off high-res pictures and then resize so that the longest dimension is about 700 pixels. You have 125 kb per picture and the board makes the thumbnails

Offline susanbowers

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Venetian glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Hi

Sorry for delay in replying.  Attached are the amended photos.  Thank you.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
I think you've posted the same versions as before... as they still don't blow up. Without having an item to hand we really need to be able to see detail to make decisions

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
We have a help post about how to get images the right size here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html If you get stuck please email me via the wee envelope on the left under my name and I'll help with the images.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand