No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Acid mark identification. ID = Wedgwood (modern)  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Emmaf15

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • United kingdom
Acid mark identification. ID = Wedgwood (modern)
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
can anyone tell me who makes the glass with the makers mark in the picture. It is either a M, a W or could even be an A and has 2 dots like eyes.

Thanks

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Acid mark identification
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. I don't recognise your mark, but if you can add a couple of photos of the piece that you found the mark on that might help us run it to ground for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Emmaf15

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • United kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
Thanks Anne for your offer of further help, but a friend of mine has identified it last night. Turns out that it is Wedgwood.  :D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
hi  -  always satisfying to have a result.               I've not seen or heard of this one as a Wedgwood mark, and would be useful for the Board's archive if we had perhaps a commencement date to link with the mark, and if it was applied to a limited range of their products, or if it was used generally.
Approximate dates are known for other related backstamps for Wedgwood - the early trade mark for King's Lynn Glass and the later Portland Vase for Wedgwood - plus the variations on the use of the Company name etc., and the very early RS-W for Stennett-Willson.
For whatever reason  -  health & safety or simply practical issues - it seems that Wedgwood used sandblasting only to create their backstamp, as opposed to acid like most other manufacturers.           Most of the time it's possible to see the difference between the two methods of marking, which can be a pointer to an id.
Perhaps your friend can point us to a book, or particular piece from Wedgwood and would be really good to have a date - thanks :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
It would aslo be really nice to see the piece the mark is on, that would help our records greatly too. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
It's unfortunate that the op hasn't yet responded on this one, and in view of the apparent lack of GMB member's knowledge of this mark, my personal opinion would be to treat the Wedgwood attribution with caution until we have verification. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
Absolutely. There are several variations of Wedgwood mark but I have never seen this one on a piece of Wedgwood. Happy to be proved wrong though.

John

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
I have never seen this mark before, and I have a lot of Wedgwood. 
I wondered if the little dark area in the centre of the W was meant to represent the Portland Vase?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
hi Rosie  -  that wouldn't be my opinion for the reason this was believed to be Wedgwood - I'm inclined to think the image was thought to be an approximate outline of an upper case W, and so Wedgwood came to mind.              I'm not of the opinion this mark has any connection with that factory, and it's unfortunate that the o.p. hasn't responded with a view of the whole piece of glass - such an image might have settled the matter one way or the other.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 01:28:06 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with you Paul, the fact that it is possibly not Wedgwood. 
I was just wondering IF it WAS Wedgwood, then maybe the image in the centre of the W was intended to represent the Portland vase.

I do hope that Emmaf15 comes back with a picture.... she may be away on holiday, as it is that time of year.

As I said, I have a lot of Wedgwood glass, even a piece with the Portland vase sand blasted on the base with the words Wedgwood England,  but I have never seen this version before, and despite a lot of looking,  can't find it attributed to any other maker either.  :-[
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand