No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tieze?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline chaz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • drinking glasses
    • Ireland
Tieze?
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Genuine 18th C glass but what about the engraving? Tieze or not Tieze?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Tieze?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
hi chaz  -  my pc tells me that word has a rather obscure medical connection  -  so obviously I've lost the plot somewhere - will you explain please - thanks.

Would be good to see the whole of your glass, it won't help, probably, with an answer, but interesting.               When you say C18, take it you really are implying seventeen something  -  just asking in case I've misunderstood.            How was this piece described when you bought it?
Peter (oldglassman) is possibly your best bet for opinions on glass of this presumed age - about the only thing I can tell you is that the insect portrayed is a butterfly, rather than a moth  -  the club ends to the antennae would appear to suggest that.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
 Hi ,
         Poor old Franz Tieza still seems to be given the blame for reproduction Jacobite glasses even today, the less informed still attribute any and everything to this superb engraver who to the best of my knowledge did not reproduce any Jacobite glasses despite what some writers still say , he was a very fine engraver who focused on" Williamite" glasses and "Volunteer" glasses,his pattern books exist and nothing relating to Jacobites in featured, and indeed why would he provide glasses for the other side !!. his engraving technique has been studied along with his pattern books and certain features of this style make it possible to readily identify him as the creator , Peter Francis and Mary Boydell have both studied Tieza extensively and did not find any documented Jacobites by his hands , the confusion seems to have come from a comment that , " those who promoted Tieza's work in the early 20th c  as genuine also offered Jacobite glasses of dubious origin, although no mention of Tieza Jacobites were mentioned when peter Francis exposed the Tieza "Williamites , assumptions were made !!!!.

having said that it is still possible that your Jacobite engraving is of a later date but without more photos it is impossible to be certain , Having worked with Dr Seddon the author of "The jacobites and their Drinking Glasses" and ian Mckenzie the discoverer of the Amen Glasses creator for the last 14 years if you would like to mail me using the little icon on the left with some photos of the rose etc  I will possibly be able to be more certain if the engraving is period

btw  welcome to the forum,

cheers ,

Peter.

edited to add a couple of quick snaps of a Tieza Volunteer glass

Offline chaz

• Members
    • drinking glasses
    • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I do have more photo's but they exceed the 125 kb limit for posting and I've no idea how to reduce them. Quite agree about Tieze, collectable in his own right IMO. If you'd like to send me a mail rock_prof AT yahoo.co.uk Peter, I'll mail them to you. Cheers Chaz.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Hi,
       If you click on the little envelope icon to the left below oldglassman that will allow you to email me.

Peter.

Offline chaz

• Members
    • drinking glasses
    • Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
Thanks for rearranging the photo Pete.
Here's the whole thing. Unfortunately a poorly replaced foot but you can't win 'em all....
May I say as someone new here, what a tremendous resource. By far the best glass site I've yet found. I foresee many happy hours browsing and learning. Well done to all concerned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand