No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please ? Spatter glass?  (Read 790 times)

Offline chartig

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • Florida
Help Please ? Spatter glass?
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
I am trying to get an ID on this piece. One of our techs broke this vase and we are trying to find a value to replace for the customer. I Only have these 2 pictures unfortunately. The customer of course is saying this is a million dollar vase. I'm pretty sure it is not worth that much lol. Tried a google image search unable to get any leads. Any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help Please ? Spatter glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
hi  -  looks to have been an attractive piece, sorry to hear of the mishap.                Firstly, just to advise that the GMB doesn't discuss values - the reason for this is brought home by the very situation that you now face - namely the contradiction of opinions between yourself and the customer.
The only way of remedying this, for you, is to locate an identical piece, which might help you to arrive at a mutually agreed figure ...........   unfortunately, as you've already commented this is probably impossible (finding an identical piece).
Regret your picture is too small and lacks evidence of the sort of detail that might help to assess whether this piece is late C19 or C20, presumably you are unaware of the genuine age of this piece  -  might your customer have indicated something here?
Spatter glass has a longish life span, and appears during the C19 and lasts in some form or another until the late 1930s  - it was a not uncommon form of glass decoration, especially in Czechoslovakia from c. 1920 to the mid 1940s.   

I have a feeling that we aren't going to be able to help, particularly as this piece is now lost and additional pix are therefore impossible to source.

It would be assumed by most people that if this item had been of substantial monetary value as the customer appears to have suggested, then the customer would have had an equally substantial insured value.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:34:59 AM »
Looks contemporary Romanian to me -- style is reminiscent of Tubi Vadan's stuff.

Offline chartig

• Members
    • glass
    • Florida
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »
Thank  you all for responding, I have 2 very high resolution pics but unfortunately  the site only lets you post files that are below a certain kb , Thank you both for your input it is much appreciated. I definitely scanned the internets for similar pieces but came up empty handed . Tough piece to track down. Thanks again for the help.

Offline chartig

• Members
    • glass
    • Florida
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
I uploaded the high resolution pics

https://imgur.com/zdXjS1V

https://imgur.com/uG76wVe

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
Cased cloudy decor, satin finish and metallic handle all scream modern Romanian. Filip Ravert is another maker working in this style. A quick search for Romanian art glass brings up plenty of similar pieces, though I haven't found this exact shape yet...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand