No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who do you think made this Amethyst Glass vase? ID = Ronald Stennett-Willson  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Smitty

• Members
  • Im no longer as new but still please be gentle
    • scandanvian glass
    • England
Can anyone help me to identify this piece of amethyst coloured glass vase. It was bought at auction as part of a mixed lot of “coloured glass” It is 15.8 cms high and at the widest point 15cms. Ground pontil to a worn base. At first I thought it was Whitefriars. Now I’m not so sure .. Any ideas?
Thanks
Fleabite

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Who do you think made this Amethyst Glass vase?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Maybe stennet Willson,I'm no expert though.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »
I'd agree with bat20 - very similar, if not identical to S-W, although I don't know if Wedgwood did theirs in amethyst  -  if it is theirs then the code/model No. is RSW/10.

The W/Fs version - although made in amethyst and similar in outline shape to S-W, is generally less fat - but according to Jackson the Baxter design has a hand finished neck, which may mean theirs has a ground/polished rim  -  I'm not sure - I've never owned one.      The Wedgwood design looks - from the books - to have a fire polished rim, but I'm only guessing here.

Jackson adds  .........  "the necks (W/Fs.) were hand-finished, so they vary quite considerably in height and diameter".          Unfortunately, neither Susan Tobin nor Leslie Jackson give dimensions for the pieces they show.

Think if pushed I'd plump for S-W.

P.S.       Should read more carefully ..................  In Tobin's Appendix 1 - page 87  -  RSW/10 is described as "vase with sheared top - so I was wrong about the fire polishing.    Also they were apparently made in the following colours  ............   'Clear, Blue, Amethyst, Topaz, Cranberry, Orange and White Opal.               So I guess we're there with this one being S-W.

Offline Smitty

• Members
  • Im no longer as new but still please be gentle
    • scandanvian glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
Thanks for  solving  my problem. You are obviously quite right it is S-W. Thanks again to both of you for your help. 
Fleabite

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »
Ronald Stennett-Willson (I'm doing a "Bernard" here - note the spelling of Stennett-Willson, double letters and hyphenated!)  ;D

You can see more examples of this angular vase here: http://www.ronaldstennettwillson.com/Vases%20Angular.html

Note for newer members: the late Bernard Cavalot was a stickler for correct spelling and always made a point of correcting RSW's name when it was spelled wrong by pointing out the double letters and the hyphen; as he used to remind folks, if you get it wrong the search engines won't find it. I do miss Bernard!  :'(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand