No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID. Old English?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline marc

• Members
ID. Old English?
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
Hi,
Could it be an Old English ?
It's characteristics are: Diameter 6,2 cm and height 4,6 cm. It has a polished concave base with external ring, it has a handwritten sticker that says "WHITEFRIARS". But I think it's wrong. 
Any idea of origin/age ?

Best regards, thanks. 
Marc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
Re: ID. Old English?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
Hiya Marc, this weight has so much in common with the group of weights that Alan Thornton has studied and written about that he suspects were made by Islington Glass Works in Birmingham Uk. The group of weights tend to have a stave baskets and a satin polished flat base. Yours is concave, but that may be a restorer ‘making it right’. Alan (tropdevin) is a contributor here so he may comment. Don

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
Hi Don,

Many thanks for your reply and comments. This is a "puzzle".

Marc.

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
Hiya Marc. Here is a photo of mine. As you can see, the canes have similar features, but do have huge differences, but we are in a research forum, so any similarities may lead in a direction.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »

Hi All.   Don - yours is an Islington 'basket weight' (I assume it has a spiral basket, and flat ground base).  The other weight posted by marc is from a different, unknown factory, quite possibly in the UK... I have 7 weights or images of pieces from this factory (I think), and 6 were found in the UK.  It should be lead crystal, with a concave polished base, that may not be quite circular.  I have ones that have canes very like the centre cane and those in the outside ring.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand