No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass plate ID help  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass plate ID help
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
  thanks both. :)     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline burch69

• Members
    • All modern glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
Hi

Just as a follow up on this one. I recently had some feedback from one of the Oxford museums who's thoughts were that it is probably mid 19th century, Bohemian molded blue opaline glass, with a wheel cut edge and hand gilded. Due to the number of possible manufacturers and lack of marks, it is going to be very hard to narrow down further. i was going to see if anyone of the Uk collections had anything similar and will post any results. Thanks Patrick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
I'd suggest that the Oxford museum's conclusion is probably what most of us would have suggested - the shaped outer rim, the translucence, the colour, the gilding etc., and yes would agree further information probably a non-starter.

You might try the V. & A. in London  -  the glass and ceramics dept. will always offer opinions if you send them emailed pix etc.           I had some chat with them recently over something though I've now forgotten what it was.           They might take a week or so to reply, but get back to you they will at some time, though suspect their response may be no more specifically detailed than that of Oxford.           I forget the lady's name, but do give them a try.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline burch69

• Members
    • All modern glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Thanks Paul for the suggestion there on the V and A, unfortunately they don't seem to be responding to public inquiries at the moment due to staff shortages, only ones relating to their own collection. i have another few leads to follow so will let you know if able to get anything more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand