No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hendrik Berlage/Loetz Identification  (Read 841 times)

Offline angiemac321

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bohemian Art Glass
    • United States
Hendrik Berlage/Loetz Identification
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:01 AM »
Hello,

This is my first time using the site, any help is greatly appreciated! Is anyone familiar with the work of Dutch architect/glass designer, Hendrik Berlage(1856-1934)?  I recently purchased a beautiful art vase from an auction house and am in need of assistance in confirming information. The vase was listed as Loetz and designed by Hendrik Berlage.  I realize, often times, the items are listed incorrectly. I am not familiar with Berlage's work and have not been able to locate any information confirming that he designed for Loetz. I love the vase, regardless but am curious to know if the information is correct.

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hendrik Berlage/Loetz Identification
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »
hi - welcome to the GMB.              Regret unable to help with your specific question regarding his possible connection with Loetz  ........  my only reference connecting him with glass design comes from the 'Skira Dictionary of Modern Decorative Arts', where part of the the entry under his name reads:
"He also created designs for strict, pure glass items for the Baccarat and the Pantin glassworks".                 

Assume you have searched Wiki entries and similar etc.?                   Date wise, his activities would have coincided with that of the Loetz/Lotz factory - both having a vested interest in the then art nouveau style  -  so perhaps some assumed connection might be thought possible.              My first thought would be that you should ask the house for their reason for the catalogue listing description, although you may have done that already.           

Is it possible for you to post a picture of your vase? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Hendrik Berlage/Loetz Identification
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
There are many knowledgeable contributors to the excellent website loetz.com who may be able to help, contact information here: http://www.loetz.com/about-loetz-com/contactinfo

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand