No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb flower stand - pattern 8209  (Read 1442 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb flower stand - pattern 8209
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
One of my best ever finds today on the Portobello Road - Molineaux Webb pattern 8209, flower stand with ruby flash, late 1860s. The stand also looks like it could be contemporary, it has a mark for EB & Co, which appears to be Edwin Blyde & Co of Sheffield, active from the mid 1850s onwards.

This piece is basically the 8209 celery where the stem has been removed and replaced with a glass stud, balancing it within the stand. Rather confusing, 8209 had two different types of decoration as seen in pattern book images (also used on a cross hatch key design), but it seems like the one I have is the main decoration, also used on comports, finger bowl, basin, ewer & glass etc. It's the first time I have seen it in the wild.

I'm also including a close up of the design used on this piece, it is quite distinctive. If anyone has a piece with this frosted design on it, it could be Molineaux Webb.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb flower stand - pattern 8209
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Very nice ! difficult to find anything there recently  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
congratulations Neil  -  marvelous find - well done.               Was it the Portobello Road that claimed to have the right to sell during the hours of darkness and not be challenged legally, whatever the origins of the goods - though possibly those circumstances now changed   -  or was that a myth :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:08:57 AM »
Very nice, eagle-eyed find, Neil.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum