No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue geode bowl with frosted interior.  (Read 1790 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Blue geode bowl with frosted interior.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
I've been looking for things the same shape, and found this toffee coloured bowl;

http://difratellifatto.com.br/destinomilano/frantisek-vizner
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »
Oooh thanks very much folks!  It never occurred to me that it could possibly be Czech.
Following your suggestions/links, I came across this described as "sandblasted and polished".  The size is larger than mine, but looks very similar.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/1315273_302-frantisek-vizner-czechoslovakia-grey-blue-bowl-o
And this private collection which shows Vizner's bowls in different colours https://www.picuki.com/media/2102390040882541368
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 06:58:16 PM »
There's a blue one towards the back in the second link...

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
Sorry to be a churlish kill joy but I just don't see 'Vizner' in Anne's bowl, it somehow lacks the spark of creativity you expect from Vizner.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 10:55:28 AM »
my hesitations are re the side on picture where:
-  the bowl profile looks too deep and too rounded rather than 'sweeping' curved outwards if you know what I mean
-  the 'bowl' dip interior in the centre looks too deep and too much like it follows the outer curve of the bowl for depth and shape
- For some reason, the colour blue but that's just my instinctive thoughts rather than based on anything I could substantiate

The Vizner bowls don't appear symmetrical like this, they appear to have thicker outer walls and a different curve shape with a shallower inner 'bowl' dip in the centre.

That said, there are similarities especially with frosted centre and the quality of the bowl looks fab.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
I wasn't that sure! The profile of the bowl in question is rounder and deeper, and I didn't find the pics blew up enough to see the absolute quality, I had to sort of guess at that.
It is a quality piece, but like the others commenting, I'm not sure it has quite the outstanding stunning-ness of these later Vizner masterpieces.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
I've just come across another identical bowl.  I was hoping I'd be nearer to knowing the maker as I spotted the remnants of a  label underneath.  No such luck, except it might eliminate a lot of possibilities as the label had a bar code and I could just make out "DECORATIVE BOWL".  So, it might be newer than I thought although I'm not too sure when bar codes were introduced into the UK.  It looks like a pretty generic high street shop label, what's left of it any way, and the bowl is possibly mass produced.....   
Anne E.B

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
For some weird reason IVIMA Portugal has come into my mind.  Is it because John has recently id''d another geode bowl from them and I've clicked on the thread in the last few days?

Anyway it might be worth a look because I now think there might be previous bowls on the board made in Portugal. For some reason I think I once owned a green one.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 09:38:05 PM »
After a quick look, they all seem to have distinct layers.  Maybe not Ivima then Anne.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 06:24:26 AM »
I think I must have had one of those layered geode bowls in the past and just assumed it was Italian.  I've never heard of Ivima in Portugal before until reading recent postings. 
Hopefully I'll find another one with a complete label :) :-*
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand