No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Super Magnum for show  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Selkirk Super Magnum for show
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »
Had this one a while but as you don't see many thought I'd just post it here.
Selkirk Super Magnum "Paradise" 22/500, 5" (125mm) diameter and very heavy.

I have been told they only produced 1 super magnum per year but as info is fairly scarce on Selkirk weights I'm not sure if that's right nor whether they typically produced the whole 500?

Also the engraving on the base is not very good either it does read Selkirk Glass Scotland then Paradise 22/500 or it's name is not just Paradise as the word I would expect to be Scotland seems to end with an m and looks something more like it starts with an s but the last 4 letters look more like worm? Not been able to get a clear enough photo to post though.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Selkirk Super Magnum for show
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
 :) Have you tried the talcum powder trick over the marks to bring them up for photgraphy? Just rub a little over the marks with your thumb.
If you don't have talc, flour would do, but it can be a bit messier.

It seems odd that one would be numbered 22 out of 500 if there were not the 21 made before that, but large runs frequently do not get completed. I don't know if that is the case for Selkirk, I know it is for IoWSG and Caithness.
But it might be that the first 21 were not super magnums.
It's rather a lovely design. :)

The important thing is that you've got it. It's yours! ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »
There would definately have been the first 21, I wondered if anone knew if all 500 were actually made,they would also all have been Super magnums in the design, as you say the Caithness book and Perthshire lists the numbers produced of each run. I've yet to find much info on Selkirk despite having a fairly large library on paperweights and various website links(paperweights are my main glass interest).

Its just very scruffily engraved that makes it hard to make out, I'll try again though in the next day or so when I can.

Wulf seemed to know a fair bit about Selkirk but don't think I've seen him post in a while

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
I've not seen Wuff for a while either. I do hope he comes back - he would be a terrible loss.
Have you looked in Lustrousstone's Gallery?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »
I haven't got that one, but the engraving is usually very neat

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »
Hi Nick,

I am an avid collector of Selkirk and I know a bit about them. 'Paradise' is indeed the name of this paperweight and it is one of Selkirk's super magnums. It is a limited edition of 500 and Selkirk typically would have produced them over one or two years (until the edition was finished or closed). I suspect Selkirk produced more than 21 of these and in all likelihood finished the edition. All the weight of this edition would have been super magnums (i.e. 10 cm/4 inches in diameter or more). I cannot tell you exactly when it was produced as I am away from home and from my documentation but if I remember correctly it was a late production around the turn of the century.

If you are a member of the PCC, I wrote an article about Selkirk's super magnums in one of the issues of 2015 (I think - again I have not got these with me). Selkirk did a few super magnums and they are often spectacular (I am not sure they did one a year - may be in the later years but not in the early Selkirk period). It is always a pleasure to find one. Enjoy it.

SophieB

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
Thanks Sophie,

Sorry forgot to say this is actually dated as 1989.

Also managed to get a pic of the engraving, I assume it is supposed to say Scotland but looks like seeworm?? There certainly doesn't seem to be a d at the end.

The same seller had another super magnum that was predominately red in colour but not as nice to me, can't recall the name though, as it was a few years back.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
 ;D That is strange writing/engraving on it. I thought it was upside down, but it's not...
is it?
I'm getting confused about numbers of things and supermagnums.
If one supermagnum was made a year, does that refer to one design and perhaps up to 500 supermagnums made?
Or is the design in normal sizes, with just one supermagnum sized version made per year? (which was how I first understood what was said)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Supermagnums were just that size per design (over 4") This was to be a run of 500 but it seems there may be no record if all 500 ( at least 22 were made  ;))were made or whether sales died off. I was told by a dealer that only one supermagnum was made per year, although a previous post on here by Wuff lists 2 for '89, perhaps the year could end before all were made. Did they perhaps only make to dealers order and if it came to the year end did production end for that design?

I did find a website once a collector,I think, had set up with some info but cannot find it now.

Strangeley the Selkirk website for the visitor centre is still live despite them closing in 2006.

Nick

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »
Hi Nick,

In theory, Selkirk glass could have produced all 500 of the edition in 1989 but as it is a large edition (for Selkirk), it is unlikely that all 500 were made in that year and some would have been made in 1990 and may be even into 1991 (depending on the popularity of the design). When you look at catalogues, large editions are often carried over 2 years.

Also although not the rule, I noticed that sometimes the engraving on the underside is not as good/readable as in the great majority of the production.

I have attached pictures of my own Selkirk super magnums below 'just for show' too  ;D.

SophieB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand