No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Fishbowl-type of tankard with handle  (Read 1580 times)

Offline pigpicker

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Glass Fishbowl-type of tankard with handle
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »
Hi,
Long story short but I’ve been given 3 round ‘fishbowl’ tankard glasses from my Dad and I’d like to buy some more.
(Pictures attached)

These 3 were part of a set of 6 that he and my mum were given as a wedding present in the late 60’s.
It might sound weird but these glasses were a FUNDAMENTAL part of my childhood  ;D and I can fondly remember them filled with beer at many, many parties.

Sadly only 3 now remain and these 3 haven’t been used for years! A few weeks ago, after a reminisce session, my Dad said that I could have them and I was over the moon! Haha.

They are so unique and I love them and I’d really like to bring the set of 3 back up to 6 again.
But after a couple of hours on Google and eBay I have found nothing that comes close to them. There are no markings or makers’ names on them to lookup/search for and so I’m turning to the ‘experts’ on here for help.

Could anyone point me in the direction of any more of these glasses? Does anyone know who made them or have any more info on them?
Mum thinks they might be Danish ... or Dartington ... or from Rackhams. Is it any wonder why I haven’t been able to find any!?! ::)

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone with any more info.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass Fishbowl-type of tankard with handle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :)
I can't really see the construction properly, in order to help you. Would you please take another pic of the base, we need to see that, and one that shows how the handle is attached - from what I can make out, it almost looks like the same piece of glass, so it may have been made in a mould, but I'm not sure there could be moulds made that incoporate handles that long ago.

Is there a round shiney depression in the middle of the bottom?

Even if we can't find out where they came from, I'm sure there are contemporary glassmakers who might be happy to make more for you, which would be very similar.
It's funny how you get attached to certain things and these are unusual in their roundy-ness. ;D
My partner has a smoke coloured tankard from, I think, Wedgwood, (it's unmarked) a unique hand made one. He won't use anything else since I found it for him. It does feel good when you've got hold of it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pigpicker

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »
Hi Sue ... and thanks!

Thanks for coming back. Yes it sounds odd but these glasses are so satisfying to hold and they’re just .... different. I’d love to have more ... even if made bespoke. 

See attached for more photos as requested.
The handle must have been added rather than moulded as one with the bowl  - even to my amateur eye.

And there does indeed appear to be a round shiny depression in the base ... whatever that means  :D
What DOES  that mean?

Mark

Offline Coupsdestylo

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 08:51:27 AM »
I would look at continental punch bowl and fire punch sets, common to see punch cups in the same shape as the punch bowl.

Offline pigpicker

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
Thanks - will have a look

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »
The round depression in the middle of the bottom is what is called a round polished pontil scar. It's an indication of it being a unique, hand made and blown piece of glass. Not made in a mould. The hot glass has to be attached to a rod to work the rim and add the handle, then it has to be broken off. This leaves a "scar" on the bottom. After cooling, it can be further refined by cutting out around the scar and polishing, while cold, the round depression left behind. Polishing glass is a labour intensive process, and only carried out on something of quality. It makes it more expensive.

I can see from the new pics that the handles have been attached, thanks!
Makers do do handles differently - it depends on whether they start at the top or at the bottom.
The polished pontil scar does indicate they're individually hand made.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. I am trying to get an idea of size,  could you measure height and width please ignoring the handle, and add as a reply, it could help. Thanks!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pigpicker

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
Thanks Sue - very interesting!
It’s a shame there’s no stamp or maker’s name to indicate ‘who’ hand-made them.

Hi Anne ... the dimensions, not including handles, are as follows

- The diameter across the top (outside to outside) is around 9cm
- The thickness of the glass at this point is 4mm - so quite thick ... which is one of the reasons why I like them so much
- The width of the vessel at its widest point is just over 12cm
- The width of the flat base is 62mm
- The height of the vessel is around 10.5cm

Due to the fishbowl nature of the glasses, most of the measurements are not bang on but are as close as possible for a Sunday night.

Hope these are useful

Thanks

Offline Coupsdestylo

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »
Well the size is good for a punch cup and the shape is a classic, a search for "Leonardo Punch Bowlebecher" and you'll see this general shape is still available.  WMF were making the same shape 40-60 years ago and some lovely cut and etched glass sets from the early 1900's also feature the same shape, yours looks well made. D

Offline pigpicker

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
Thanks,
A quick search returns some promising images but nothing so close that I would be happy to buy.

Are there artisan glass-smiths (is that even a word?? :-\ ) that i could take one of my glasses to for them to create replicas? Do such services exist?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand