No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riedel Panther paperweight.  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Riedel Panther paperweight.
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:41:53 PM »
Hello,

As i am new to Bohemian glass, I just wanted to show my second find. I did not know at the time what I was buying but recognised a certain quality. As i waited for it to be delivered, I managed to identify it  through a well known on-line source who was happy to authenticate it through some images. It's by Joseph Riedel and dated 1880-1885.

It's a bit knocked here and there and in between the panther and the black glass base, there's a layer of some metal foil that has corroded with time, and now gives a yellowy/orangy glow to the piece. It's only a tiny little thing, 11,5 cm long, 5,5 cm wide and 7 cm in height.

I decided not to clean it completely, I think it looks nice a little aged.

Offline tremblas

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass french
    • France
Re: Riedel Panther paperweight.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »
I like the earthy soil that highlights the animal and recalls the nuances created by Sabino in his opalescences. Maybe a more thorough cleaning would give the panther more glamor? Very nice room. ;)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
Merci!

Re the cleaning, I did it a little bit, but thought it might be better to keep an aged look?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »
He's rather handsome Anne. I wouldn't do any more cleaning personally

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »
Thanks Christine.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but for me this piece doesn't have an Art Deco look, like as mentioned Sabino for instance. It's less stylized and looks quite realistic, and therefor, for me,  doesn't have to be squeaky clean. I can only take the 'patina' or dirt if you like, off once … gone is gone.

Offline tremblas

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass french
    • France
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
I do not think we can bring it closer to art deco. What I liked and wanted to say when I compared it to Sabino's opalescences was that orange-brown hue that colored the floor.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »
Yes I understood that but the colour isn't in the glass. At some stage during the production, a thin layer of metal has been applied to the bottom of the panther, in between the black glass base and the animal, probably to reflect light and this has changed colour with time. It still reflects light but has gone orangy brown and gives it this glow now.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
He's a glorious beast and beautifully molded.

Is it my imagination but on the reverse side photograph, is there a snake in the grass alongside his back and an N shape?
probably just the molding but when I enlarged the photograph on word doc it looked like it maybe?

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
It's a pretty amazing little thing and I'm not saying that because it's mine, a lot of detail only showed up once I looked at the images that I didn't notice  before, but that might be my eyesight  8)

The N you mentioned M, is foliage and there's no snake or any other animal, so I guess it's foliage as well. Unfortunately I only have a sketch/catalogue image from its facing side and not the back.

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »
Lovely piece.  :D
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand