No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown twisted glass object  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Marco H

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nederland
Unknown twisted glass object
« on: November 29, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
Please help me identify the transparent red twisted glass object. Inside is hollow.
Diameter 16cm height 31cm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Unknown twisted glass object
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
Hello,

If you are still trying to identify this piece, please post a few more photographs......especially the base rim, and some images of it laying down.  Does it seem stable on its side? How much does it weigh?

Too big to be a stirrup cup, or a paperweight.  They are even making glass shells for hermit crabs now, although it must be like going out naked, and I wouldn't want to meet the hermit crab that would be able to carry your piece!  It does look like a shell sculpture from the first picture.

Michael Cohn and Molly Stone did some lovely shell paperweights, but I think they had solid bases.  Not sure if they did any sculptures.  Found one of their paperweights that appears to have a hollowed base - coincidently pink inside

http://vintageglasspaperweight.biz/2018/11/17/vintage-1993-signed-michael-cohn-molly-stone-art-studios-glass-shell-paperweight/

Yours looks to be made of some quite nice crystal......does it have a ring to it?  Do you think it is moulded or cut?

Waterford also did some nice crystal shells, but I haven't seen anything that wasn't clear crystal from them.

There are some lovely Murano shells, and there is something about the detail on yours that made me think of some of the Italian makers.  But out of time for now.

Hopefully that's a start anyway.
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand