No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano snail  (Read 1908 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Murano snail
« on: January 12, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
I've had this snail for 10 or 12 years and finally identified the maker, so posting images of my snail and the labeled example I found. It is 6" L x 3.5" H x 2" W, textured clear glass, no markings. Fairly heavy for its small size so may be leaded? The labeled example is a different color and texture but otherwise identical. Not sure if the label can narrow it to a specific Murano maker or not.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Re: Murano snail
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
Should have said that I identified it as Murano glass, but not identified the maker. I did research the label but could not find another like it.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
That pink and white combination is called alabastro. It's a very specific and collectable sort of glass.
You might get a bit further using that word.

I'm really not at all sure it is related to the clear glass one, which looks moulded, rather than hot worked, as the coloured one is. I know they're basically the same shape, even down to the flat part of the centre of the shell and the puddle of slime behind, but they do look like completely different methods of production.

The eye stalks are very different.  ;D

Unless the clear snail is not moulded, but was perhaps acid treated to give that surface, which might be something scarce, called corroso. I haven't seen enough corroso to be able to identify it well.
There was much excitement here in '05, when somebody found a rare corroso hippo.
But I don't think that's what your clear snail is.
If it is, I have a hat I will eat.
But I'll keep my fingers crossed, for your sake, that I will be eating my hat. ;)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1666.msg11289.html#msg11289
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks for all the good information, Sue! I neglected to mention that the dimensions of the two snails are the same, fwiw. The pink snail seems to have a mold line running down its back, visible in the lower left image. There are no mold lines on the clear glass snail, but they could easily have been removed during whatever process was used to create the textured look. Would a closeup of the finish on the clear snail be helpful? I agree that the details on the clear snail are much sharper.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Murano snail surface texture
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
Here is a closeup of the surface. Thanks again for your comments!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Mould lines do get polished off high quality items.
The line on the alabastro snail surprised me - it looks hot worked, including the eye stalks.
Italian glass is not my area. There is so much of it I gave up a short while after dipping my toes in.

Thanks for the close-up of the texture. It will really help somebody who does know what they're talking about.
I don't really know what I'm talking about.  :-[
But the texture does look very unusual and I'm starting to wonder which is my smallest hat.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks! I know a fair amount about American glass, but not much about other glass. Personally, I've found berets to be quite tasty!  ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »
My berets are, sadly, knitted, not felt.
I'm going to have to find one that isn't knitted. I can't eat stringy bits.  :P

We need confirmation first. I'm not experienced enough to be able to say if this is corroso or not.
It is unusual. And I'm very curious.
My thing is studio glass, mostly confined to small bits of Europe.
With the odd bit of American getting in - Studio Glass originated in America.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
Understood. Hopefully someone with this knowledge will chime in. I have quite a bit of studio glass and studio pottery. The head of the glass program at the local university was involved with the Pilchuck School.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand