No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How was this vase made?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
How was this vase made?
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:47:42 PM »
This pink vase is about 12" high x 8" wide at the widest point. The bottom is ground flat and maybe slightly polished. Guessing it is probably Chinese. Wondering if anyone knows how it was made? At first, I thought the design was etched, but when I magnified it, it looked like some sort of mesh was laid over it and maybe sealed with another layer of glass or some other material. Then I looked at the bottom and it appears that something more complicated took place. the mesh seems to have been applied earlier in the process and stretched? Not sure. Does anyone know how this was done? The vase not signed or marked, so guessing the maker will remain a mystery. Thanks!
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: How was this vase made?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:40:24 AM »
The technique's called 'filigrana' (this specific lattice design, if I recall correctly, 'filigrana a retortoli') - essentially, it's (usually) made by arranging decorative glass canes on a table, picking them up on a bubble of molten glass, working them until they're flat to the surface, then blowing the vase.

20th Century Murano would be a good bet.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the explanation and information Pinkspoons. Very interesting.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
There are some nice videos on YouTube, really worth watching.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »
Thanks Anne! I will take a look at YouTube. I am very interested to see how this was done.

Here are a couple of good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YqG_Lv9Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_1ewqRqAR0

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Found: Another, identical example of this vase
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 02:39:58 AM »
I found another vase that is nearly identical to my vase, on ebay. After looking at my original post, I see that I forgot to mention the color, which is the same faint lavender color mentioned by the seller. Unfortunately, the seller is away, but I will try to contact him/her. Here is their description of what they know about the vase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-12-tall-murano-italy-venetian-latticino-filigrana-hand-blown-vase-/312215016019

VINTAGE 12" TALL MURANO, ITALY VENETIAN LATTICINO FILIGRANA HAND BLOWN VASE

"I'm Selling a Unique & Beautiful 12" Tall, Hand Blown Vase with Tapering Spiral Lattice Ribbons running from the pontil on the bottom up to the hand crimped top edge.  The Vase is a very faint lavender overall color, measures 12" tall, is about 5 1/2" across the top and 7" at it's widest diameter - the glass is about 1/4" thick.

Description: I've enjoyed the hand blown Art Glass from the Island of Murano, Italy for forty years, and I've never seen a vase with this wonderful, intricate lattice ribbons pattern on it.  The faint lavender color is also unusual!  The vase was purchased at a Wealthy Estate Sale in Northwestern Wisconsin many years ago (from a large collection of Murano Glass (much of which was marked with the usual paper sticker)."

Update: Contacted the seller (Ed) and got a "out of office message" which says he is unavailable until 2/14/2019.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
I missed part of the seller's description which involves the pontil treatment:

"“The Vase is very lightly used. As with all art glass, there is no such thing as perfect! You will find a small manufacturing mark, bubble or line in the glass. There aren't any cracks or chips. As usual, the pontil on the bottom is ground smooth and even."

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »
Seller responded that he has no further information and is pretty firm about identifying it as Murano but no proof.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand