No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stunning Alabaster Glass / Opaline Perfume Bottle. Bohemia ca. 1820-1840  (Read 11079 times)

Offline antonizz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
Hi everybody,

I've just received my latest purchase, and it's quite stunning actually.

It's an perfume bottle with cap.
Albaster glass and opaling glass.
Opaque glass, with opalescent effect.  (which can only be spotted in 1 place, because the rest of the glass is quite thick.)
Beaitfully hand cut. Overlay/Cameo.

I beileve this was made in Bohemia, approximately 1820-1840.

But the big question is..  by who?

I hope anybody here recognizes the style.
It could be Annathal, but that's just a wild guess.

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,
R. Antonis

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
Re: Stunning Alabaster Glass / Opaline Perfume Bottle. Bohemia ca. 1820-1840
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »
More pics..

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
Re: Stunning Alabaster Glass / Opaline Perfume Bottle. Bohemia ca. 1820-1840
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
Forgot to mention:   I believe it's made for the Islamic market.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures.  It's a gorgeous piece.

Have you managed to acquire any of the books yet?

I have little time at the moment but when I get a moment I'll have a look through my books and see if anything matches or is a good reference.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Would agree most likely Bohemian.  Date wise it is possible it might be closer to  c.1840-1845 based on a  becher in the book Das Bohmische Glas Band II page 163 plate II.240. 
The becher appears to be similar colourway blue over white.  It also has similarities in the cutting with square ish panels and the diagonal cutting around although the diagonal cutting was I think in fashion at the time and can be seen on pieces from other makers as well -  for example a Deckelpokal from Neuwelt on page 88.  Another consideration is that the blue over white overlay and the diagonal cutting can also be seen on pieces from Adolfhutte bei Winterberg from that time.
The becher on page 163 also has a very similar gilded  random meandering vine leaf pattern on it. 
It is attributed as 'Vermutlich Annathal bei Schuttenhofen c. 1840-1845'.

It would be nice to try and match the stopper which is unusual.

Also is it possible to get a photograph of the bottle without the lid, with a light shone behind it.  I'd like to see how transparent the alabasterglas is.  I presume it does not glow red at all with a strong sunlight shining through it for example?  Your photography of your piece makes it look very opaque. I suspect that is just the way it is photographed and perhaps it is less opaque in real life?

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I will make better pictures this week, but it ìs thick and opaque.
There's only a small spot in the bottom where the opalescent effect is visible.

BUT....   just 2 minutes ago I have spotted the exact same bottle, only with another cap.
(And I'm pretty sure my cap is original)

If you are interested in seeing it:
Go to the passau Museum Website.

(https://www.glasmuseum.de/1/glassammlung/panoramen/)
-Then click to visit the Biedermeier Hall.
-From where the camera starts, it's in the 7th showcase, if you move to the right.
-I'm pretty excited by the way, since I have been searching for months, and by some kind of intuition
 had the urge to visit the Panorama on their website.

Perhaps I should thank you ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
1) Yes I see it :)

Well done for spotting it.
Very similar but difficult to say identical because my screen  and their photography doesn't allow to see it clearly but the bottle does look to be very similar.  Your stopsel is I would think the correct one for your bottle.  Their's appears to be plain white and a plain stopper.

Would be nice to find a book reference to that piece.  I will have another look at other books if I have time today.

2) That type of diagonal cutting is described as 'turban cut' - I couldn't remember the phrase earlier.

3) This piece has some similarity with yours in the type of glass used to make it.  Glaskilian describes it as 'milchglas'.  It is dated c.1840.  I thought it an interesting comparison:
https://www.glaskilian.de/Biedermeier_UEberfang_Flakon_e.640+B6YmFja1BJRD02NDAmTD0xLiZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MTU2NjImcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9NjQwJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

I have one piece dating from that period which is alabasterglas from Annathal- it looks blue over white and can look quite opaque in photography (sort of could look like more opaque 'milchglas') but in my hand it is much more transparent really and a different kind of glass.  Very difficult to explain but there is a difference between what I think of as 'milchglas' and 'alabasterglas', and then also a difference between 'alabasterglas' and 'opaline glass which has been opacified with something which means when it is held up to the light it glows fiery or bright orangey red'.

If you haven't bought Das Bohmische Glas band II then I think you would find it very interesting. It is much better having books than just using the internet :)

m

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
A late response..

I have made some new pictures, which shows that it's very thick, and not translucent.

The link you shared is indeed kind of the same style.
I have seen 2 moser bottles on RubyLane as well, although it's not really coming close.

I have also mailed the Passau Museum, but unfortunately they didn't respond.

And I'm definately thinking about "Das Böhmische Glas" (I-VII)

Thanks for your help!

Offline antonizz

• Members
    • Netherlands
[Mod: I have removed one set of 4 photos which were a repeat of the 4 abpve]

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
If I was you having seen what you like to buy, I would buy Band II first then maybe Band III (later period about 1850-1880 or something - can't remember).

It is a truly beautiful museum piece and with original stopper as well.
Have a bit of a search on Dr Fischer auctions and see if you can find similar. 
I have one piece with stopper in almost perfect enamel condition that dates to about 1825 in a rare type of coloured glass. I will put it on the board one day.
It's quite unusual in my opinion,  to find them with the stopper and they will never ever be made again.  They are evidence of the early methods of making milchglas or opaque coloured glass where the factories were making their own recipes for coloured glass, and near the beginning of the period where coloured glass was having a renaissance in fashion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand