No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nason or Chinese copy? Advice needed ...  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Nason or Chinese copy? Advice needed ...
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:58:45 PM »
I recently posted on here a photo of a vase I'd bought with copper glittery inclusions and asked for help in IDing it.  It was attributed here as a Chinese version by Dalian (I've currently got it listed it on eBay for a couple of quid as a Dalian from China 'in the style of Nason').  However, I've just come across an IDENTICAL vase in an online shop (looks like an extremely respectable site to me with a lot of very expensive glass for sale) being marketed as an original '1930's' Nason for £115.00.  Should I contact the seller and let him know what it's been attributed as on the GMB - what does everyone think?  I haven't linked it here because I'm not sure if I should (I don't want to embarrass the seller unnecessarily) but here's my vase again... I can email the link of the vase on sale for anyone who's interested in making the comparison - they look exactly the same to me.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/copperglitter10001.jpg

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »
Not that it will help with your current dilemma Pip, but I just thought I'd mention that I saw a great number of this style vase on sale in Au Naturale within the last year.  They were probably also Dalian imports although the ones I checked only had the seller's label, not a place of origin.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:14:42 AM »
It's not a "copy" as the model is quite distinctive Chinese and Nason never made anything like it. Also, Nason pieces (from the 60s not the 30s) have all over aventurine on black, not a few isolated specks as the Chinese.  

It is a straightforward misattribution and I think you can just tell the seller. If they will not modify their description you can still post the link here (hehehe...)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 08:02:33 AM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
It's not a "copy" as the model is quite distinctive, Chinese and Nason never made anything like it. Also, Nason pieces (from the 60s not the 30s) have all over aventurine on black, not a few isolated specks as the Chinese.  

It is a straightforward misattribution and I think you can just tell the seller. If they will not modify their description you can still post the link here (hehehe...)

Ivo, you are wicked!  :lol:   I'm a little uncomfy about telling them myself since it's not like I'm some great expert or anything, I didn't have a clue until you nice people told me.  If I mail you the link Ivo would you do it (pretty please) it'll carry a lot more 'weight' coming from you than from me? I've double checked the site and the vase directly above the one I'm talking about in this thread looks highly suspect too - oh dear :-(

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:20:42 AM »
Did you write the seller already?
Just wondering... I am really surprised at how many people ask for/and or are offered advice and then when you tell them something they dont want to hear, they will refuse to change their descriptions and ignore it all together. It shows who's out for themselves and who's actually considering the buyers.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »
I think you can just point them to this discussion here, which says it all. For comparison, here is a real Nason piece - you must admit it looks totally different from the Chinese schtuff.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2892 Mod: dead link

Mod: alternate link: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38169.msg210268.html#msg210268

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:27:37 PM »
Hiya Javier - no I haven't emailed them yet. I've been away in Devon for a few days and I bottled out of doing it before I left - I feel a bit uncomfy doing it  :oops: - hint hint :-)  I could always email you the link to their site if you wanted to have a word in their shell-like about it??? You have such a fabulous site and you're obviously extremely knowledgable on the subject of Italian glass ...  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand