No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candlesticks with fish stems - ID = Helen Millard  (Read 2367 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Candlesticks with fish stems - ID = Helen Millard
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
These 12cm high candlesticks appear to be signed "H.Millard (something)2" and "Helen Millard (something) (something - possibly a 2, maybe a 5).

I haven't found anything similar when searching for her work, although it is possible they are early pieces, and I'm a bit reluctant to email and ask her in case they are Dremel.

Does anyone have any reference pieces for comparison?

Many thanks
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Candlesticks with fish stems - Helen Millard?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
I had a paperweight by Helen Millard, the internal bit looked not unlike this. I'd be happy enough with the work and general appearance.
Unfortunately, I don't have an image of the signature. Glassobsessed might have one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
I don't have a photo of her signature but there is one here:
https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/2a0276691b1be8d8752e94db4207d31a/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/saturday-collective-sale-lot-2365/

The style of the sticks looks spot on, nice too, I would think they are right.

Pretty sure she would not mind you asking. She sometimes sells at Shepton Flea market, superb cameo work.

John

Remembered that I do have a photo, signature on a paperweight.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
The very paperweight I was talking about - thanks, John.
It just looks as if a different tool might have been used for the weight and the sticks.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
Thank you both for all the info. 

Apart from the quality of the signatures, all the other pieces I've managed to find online have the dates written in full. 

I will email, especially as it would be useful to be able to add more information here.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »
Can you see the similarities in the way the coloured enamels are worked in both your sticks and the pwt? That was what was most obvious to me when I saw your sticks - they immediately made me recall that weight. :)
Writing to Helen herself is the best idea yet for confirmation.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
They definitely have the same effect, and I have also seen that she did some fish related pieces.  When you see her cameo vases ...... I mean the sheer quality of the work......it just seems such a stretch to think she also made these.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that all these great artists had to start somewhere.  I have a little pottery mug made by Michael Cardew at the very start of his time with Bernard Leach......possibly the earliest known piece of his.....and when I compare it with the pieces in the V&A I am always amazed how you can go from complete novice to master craftsman.  It's a bit humbling to be honest.
Cat 😺

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »
I'm rather enjoying your enthusiasm. It's hard to keep it going at this level for 20 years straight, especially as I don't get out much any more.
I do have a bit of a thing about collecting the very early work of artists. I often think their talent shines through the slightly less developed and "professional" apperance of later stuff.
And it is often more affordable.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 07:13:19 PM »
I finally got around to emailing Helen Millard, and she has replied and confirmed that they are definitely pieces she made. 

Cat 😺

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
Print the email out. :)
You've got some lovely personal provenance to go with them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand