No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cracked earth effect bowl with hard to read signature - ID = Will Shakspeare  (Read 2457 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
He makes  fab glass and is lovely to boot :)
I did a glass blowing session with him (made a bowl and what turned out to be a glass for my pimms). 
I have some lovely pieces of his glass but the most beautiful  in my eye are the 'opals'.  They are really stunning.  I couldn't afford one when I went though.
In fact one of my most precious pieces is a bowl by him given to me by a friend.  It is not a range, just appears to be a one off but it's dichroic glass and truly exquisite.
m

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
M thank you for all that information.  It sounds a though he is someone who won't mind me asking.  When you mention opals......that's very much the effect on this piece......the reason it looks different all the time.  Could this be one of those opal pieces?  Do you know how they are made?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
they were all stripes I think.

Oh these are some of them: 

https://shakspeareglass.co.uk/collections/opal-range

The one I saw was also a jug but possibly bigger, and in real life they are just gorgeous to look at. As though they've been created from velvet or something.  Really beautiful pieces of art.  I couldn't find any more on the site unfortunately.

So I don't think yours is an opal.  But I know what you mean about it changing in different lights.  My blue bowl turns red when held up to the light.  It has a deep brown interior and the bowl is so glossy/ shiny but  I can't explain how or why.  I presume it must be because of the way the glass/metal has been created.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Oh these are pretty beautiful - I didn't see these :
They are like watercolour paintings in glass!

https://shakspeareglass.co.uk/collections/tresco-shore-series?page=2

This one in particular - look at that gorgeous interior as well.

Mine is much thinner than these.  I will photograph it one day and put it on the board.

m

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Look forward to seeing your piece.  I like no.14 on the link.......the details in the glass, when you drag the picture as big as possible, it's just like a beach.  Lovely.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand