No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sapphire blue vase  (Read 931 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Sapphire blue vase
« on: June 22, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
The vase has a flared bucket-shaped body measuring 19 cm (7.6 inches) in diameter at the rim.  The outside of the rim is cut with small panels and the body is heavily cut with eighteen rows of half-circles above a basal band of plain glass.  The body sits on a star-cut foot that measures 9.5 cm (3.8 inches) in diameter and which is panel cut to the outside rim.  The vase is 22.8 cm  (9.1  inches) in height.    It weighs 1.92 kg. (~ 4 lb 4 oz.).   There is some form of signature around the rim of the base which can't be read because of wear.  An image is provided of that area.

Best wishes, Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Sapphire blue vase
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
Lovely find Neil. Underneath the base wear I think the mark will be Elfverson &co.
They were a British import company that imported a lot of glass that was made by Strombergshyttan in Sweden.
There is also a strong connection to Whitefriars.
I have two of this type of vase, one in the same colour as yours (slightly different base) and a green one.
In my research i have not been able to track down where they were made,England,Sweden or somewhere else. Would be lovely to find out.

Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 11:09:23 AM »
Hello Tim, thank you so much for your knowledgeable reply.  It was in an auction lot of glass along with various 18th and 19th century items and I was a but nonplussed as to its origin.  Now all I need to do is to try and remove the water staining!  Best wishes, Neil

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
Hello Neil, in the search option on the GMB there is further information about Elfverson and co.
To me the whole subject about Elfverson , Sweden and Whitefriars is fascinating.
If and when your shelf space becomes to crowded, could you let us know if this item comes up for sale.
All the best,
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Hello Tim,

I'll look up the Elverson trail.  Thank you for letting me know it exists.

We are a glass dealer - The world is made of glass Ltd. - so all our glass is for sale.  I believe that commercial discussions are frowned upon on this forum so feel free to contact me directly by email on contact@theworldismadeofglass.co.uk.

Best wishes and thanks once again,
Neil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand