No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Object Pressed Glass item love to know more????:)  (Read 757 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Mystery Object Pressed Glass item love to know more????:)
« on: July 02, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »
Charity shopping to day in my local town i came across this unusual piece i cant see any marks
or rd numbers but looks English pressed glass has a slight purple hue to it. My initial thought was a
pipe rest but think it would not leave enough space when they were placed into the holes for this idea to be usefull
hopefully somebody would know its use maybe the maker which would be superb thank you for looking
:)
61/4" tall approx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Mystery Object Pressed Glass item love to know more????:)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »
Universal candle holder?  Hard to tell from pics if the smaller holes would accommodate tapers?

Interesting piece......look forward to finding out more about it!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:28:25 PM »
Is there any evidence of wear?
It looks "sun-purpled" with age, but I'm aware that that was an effect that was popular at one time and some unscrupulous folk deliberately accelerated the process; (I think it was in America, where they had access to rooftops for laying stuff out and the opportunity to be given a LOT of exposure to excessive sunshine;  ;D )
There are "fakes" out there.
Having said that, this does look to be an old sort of thing. Possibly some fancy barware or something for pickles?
Something that might require tiny forks or cocktail sticks and somewhere to present them or dispose of them?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »
Looking at the cutting on the outside of the base.....would it be rough enough to strike an old vesta match?  Would cigarettes fit in the small holes around it?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
It's pressed, not cut, Cat.  ;D
You can see that when you look at the base - which I didn't properly at first, because if I had, I would have known there was plenty of wear and would not have needed to ask.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »
 :)Just thought id try and a match would strike on the textured section and seems to fit matches well :o

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »
I didn't realised there was a bottom in that bit - where you've put the matches.
I assume the centre well in the maind body is deep enough to have held the shorter old cigarettes folk used to smoke, and the outside ring is just to leave some out for visitors. They could be replenished from the centre pot.

Even I'm not old enough to remember when cigarettes were left out for everybody to help themselves, although I do remember fug-filled rooms whenever there were big people around.

It's a cigarette dispenser.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand