No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal glasses - looking for pattern name  (Read 3132 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Stuart Crystal glasses - looking for pattern name
« on: July 05, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
I have a selection of glasses in this pattern.  All marked Stuart England on the base.  I have been trying for a long time to find the name of the pattern, but can only find the references STU65 and STU79 on the Replacements website (link below), which may just be their own internal reference.

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/stustu79.htm?query=stu79

They are lovely quality and it would be nice to make up the complete set, so thought it might be worth a shot posting here to see if anyone knows the pattern name, although it is quite difficult to photograph the pattern on these.

Tramline banding over vertical cuts on bowl, panel cut stem, plain foot.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Stuart Crystal glasses - looking for pattern name
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
During your searches, did you encounter a whisky glass in this pattern, but with a wreath of mitre leaf cuts around the top part above the tramline? Like a row of nested v-s on their sides.

I have one, because I cannot leave a good whisky bucket sitting on a charity shop shelf. Whisky buckets are a special category on their own. ;D
Beautiful quality but not marked. I'm sure it has some age as it does have a couple of seed bubbles and under careful inspection in the right light I can see the faint cutting marks. Stuart would not surprise me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »
It might be.  :-*
Mine's a completely different shape, a proper bucket, and I think probably a good bit bigger, certainly more solid. The mitre cuts are bigger and occupy pretty much the whole top part.
The whole thing is rather "death by a thousand cuts" busy by the time you look at all the upright columns and the reflections. There are 26 columns.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Can you add a picture Sue?  I've looked at so many, you never know.  I'm getting a nagging voice already about "Laurel".  Would love to be able to help.  I have loads of crystal glasses to identify and it makes it more fun for me to have other people's pieces in mind too.  "Quid pro quo, Clarice"  ;D
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »
Unfortunately, no, I can't.
New computer forced upon me by circumstances beyond my control. Can't do a thing with it.

I looked up Laurel, and found Cheltenham "rummers" illustrated.
(bear with me  ::) )

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/stuart-crystal-cheltenham-whisky-488766347

It's like those, with the columns under it rather than that criss cross. I'm pretty sure it is a 9oz size.

Big whisky buckets are not made often nowadays, if at all. I never, ever leave a good one behind and the bigger it is, the better.  ;D

I also found "Senator gold" on replacements.

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/stuseng.htm

But not my bucket. It is possibly not Stuart and remains a mystery.

But as your pattern only has a number, and the one like it (with I think, hollow stem) is called Senator, could they be "related"?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 05:38:08 PM »
The laurel that was nagging at me was Waterford crystal laurel pattern......which was how I imagined what you were describing.  Looking at it again, the vertical cuts don't all go all the way up to the banding, and I couldn't find a whisky.  That said, it never ceases to amaze me that I could remember seeing that pattern - even though I was looking for what turned out to be Colleen pattern - and remember the name.......but I can't remember what I got up out of the chair to do 😹

If we're going to do it without a picture (commiserations about the computer......have just had to relearn everything on laptop now that I don't have desktop anymore - it took me three days to figure out how to download my photos, then where to find them on the machine, and sort out irfan view, just to be able to post on GMB......time well spent) I need more information.  Do the vertical cuts go all the way to the bottom, or stop where the base section starts? And is the base star cut?  Are the laurel leaves inside any tramlines, or are they the only banding?

This feels like "Extreme GMB" stuff......what fun!
Cat 😺

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »
Cat, have you checked through this catalogue for a pattern match? https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/thumbnails.php?album=938
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
The curved bottom of the column sits at the point where the base starts to turn under, so is about 3mm from the table top when you put it down.
There is a 24 point star on the base.
This does not martch up properly with the 26 columns, ovbiously.   ???
Causing me to start doubting old quality, despite the other old features.  :-\
There is one deep v shaped tramline, on the top curve of the columns.

The bottom of the line of mitre leaf cuts is about 2mm above that line.
There is no other tramline.
The top of the mitre leaf cuts is ~ 5 mm from the rim.

Now I've got an earworm of "Coleen, Coleen" going through my head, to the tune of Jolene. :o

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
Anne, I have done for other glasses, but these feel later than 1964.  Wouldn't it be great if there were a searchable database where you could pick options for the bowl, stem and base, and it came up with all the glass patterns with those characteristics.  On the other hand......it probably wouldn't be as satisfying as that eureka moment when you finally find it.
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand