No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Req > tall green cylinder with blue flash base  (Read 2171 times)

Offline logboy

• Members
ID Req > tall green cylinder with blue flash base
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
asking for help on ID for a piece.

height > 40cm
width > 8cm
circumference > 27cm?

shows signs of wear to polished edge of base, suggesting some age. no polished or rough pontil, but ripples or gathering. no label or signature. unsure if of great age, too indistinct in look to pick a period out. top of this tapers almost imperceptibly - not intended, but feels like tube of glass cut-off is slightly squished by the process. has quite a deep green colour, but instead of crystal clear base it's a blue; not hugely heavy, not extremely light, but unable to weigh right now. can see this colour combination is quite common, as as cylindrical vases, but closest in appearance i've seen so far is a blenko piece which fades between colours and has handles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: ID Req > tall green cylinder with blue flash base
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
What have you already tried? Wouldn't want to duplicate anything you've already considered.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
tried? as in googling. no makers, just cylinder - cylindrical, tall, slim, glass, vase, blue / green fade / flash. i don't know how the blue to the base would be described in terms of techniques, tbh. don't know if the green or blue is a tone which indicates a type of glass or makers known style or anything like that. some green i know is that stuff that glows, and the blue is a funny shade indeed.

edit > i get different picture results depending on which way around i put those terms, oddly. i also seem to get different results on an iPad to a laptop/

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
Looking at the picture of the rim, there is a faint blue line on the inner and outer aspects at about 1-2 o'clock......is this from ambient light when you took the picture, or can you see it around the edge of the rim when you look at the piece? 

Next time you post, try taking pictures against a plain white background......unless it's a clear piece, which will probably be best against a black background.  It takes a bit of experimentation to find the best spot at home for pictures.

I like your mushroom lamp!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:24:46 PM »
I think this is a version of sommerso - submerged colours.
I suspect the blue you can see at the rim, Cat, is just a reflection up from the base.  :)

Hadeland did this sort of thing, retro sort of date.
But I'm not sure what is happening on the base.
I can see the polished flat outer ring, but what's inside that is vague and to me, and from that pic, it looks rather like a roughly ground mark - something akin to contemporary Chinese glass until recently when their finishes started improving.
But that is just my interpretation. It doesn't look like the smooth rings of mould marks, it looks as if it has rough bits.
Does it?  :)
Empty backgrounds do help.  ;D
It is a very nice mushroom lamp!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
I can see the polished flat outer ring, but what's inside that is vague and to me, and from that pic, it looks rather like a roughly ground mark - something akin to contemporary Chinese glass until recently when their finishes started improving.

Empty backgrounds do help.  ;D
It is a very nice mushroom lamp!

it's a bit like a drinking glass or milk bottle, but with a ground edge on it. that's the best i could get due to dark colour and light catching the texture, others didn't show it as well. couldn't get clear background at the time.

mushroom lamp is artemide onfale.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »
I think we're getting in a tangle with our words here.   8)
You are talking about a ground surface - to a glass person "ground" normally means rough - as in "roughly ground pontil mark".
That leaves behind a texture a bit like sandpaper or an emery board.
That sort of surface can be found on bits of the bottom of modern Chinese work.
It take a lot more work to get something polished completely smooth and shiney - like the base rim the vase stands on.

I thought I can see those sandpapery sorts of rough patches in the middle of the base.
Is it smooth to the touch?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »
I think we're getting in a tangle with our words here.   8)
You are talking about a ground surface - to a glass person "ground" normally means rough - as in "roughly ground pontil mark".
That leaves behind a texture a bit like sandpaper or an emery board.
That sort of surface can be found on bits of the bottom of modern Chinese work.
It take a lot more work to get something polished completely smooth and shiney - like the base rim the vase stands on.

I thought I can see those sandpapery sorts of rough patches in the middle of the base.
Is it smooth to the touch?

smooth but rippled, not rough like sandpaper. i associate pontil marks with smooth. wouldn't know of a rough one i've seen, that i can recall. it's all smooth to the touch, but flat around the edge and rippled within it, slightly deeper into the body so it's raised onto the smooth edge.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 04:36:07 PM »
There is a good illustration of a roughly ground pontil scar, in this thread here.
They can be a lot untidier, but it does show it well.  :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35591.msg193149.html#msg193149
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline logboy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
There is a good illustration of a roughly ground pontil scar, in this thread here.
They can be a lot untidier, but it does show it well.  :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35591.msg193149.html#msg193149

thanks. not the kind of ground pontil i'm used to seeing. normally a concave disc shape. maybe the lack of pontil and the kind of rippling on my photo indicates poured glass, with the edge ground to make the area in contact with any surface smooth enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand